A blog (or weblog) is an online journal or diary typically written by one person (there are some group blogs) about whatever subjects they wish (like science or politics), usually on its own domain, often a personal IndieWeb site; blog or blogging is also the act of posting to a blog; there is also a .blog top-level domain.
There are many reasons to start and regularly post a personal or perhaps semi-professional blog.
Keeping a blog of things you are learning and have learned is a commonly touted thing of interest to prospective employers as well as a chance to demonstrate some the skills you have and acquire.
Blogging about what you learn as you learn also demonstrates curiosity, self-motivation, and an interest in actively learning & growing new skills, all of which are strong positives for creatives of all types.
Specifically the options for starting a blog!
The vast majority of the IndieWeb community blog on their personal sites.
Modern blogs are expected to post articles, thus check here for IndieWeb Examples of blogs with articles:
Originally blogs often consisted of a series of links with maybe some commentary / summary, or journal entries without explicit titles or names. See:
- IndieWeb Examples of bookmarks and linkblogging
- IndieWeb Examples of notes and journaling for folks that blog their own notes, like tweets but without a length limit
- Q: Why Blog? A: Blogs Are Great.
This is my occasional request that if you (1) have a focused interest and (2) post regularly about it on social media, then please start a blog. Please read both points again before proceeding. And, no, I’m not saying cease social media. I’m saying your thoughts deserve their own plot of virtual land.
- "Do these people even understand what a blog is?" @Pinboard October 29, 2019
- "my blog is a bonsai" @brb_irl April 8, 2020
- A bunch of reasons why to have a blog and post on it are buried in: Quietism
- Why: https://twitter.com/brb_irl/status/1352008932831670273
- Why blog on your personal site: get cited in news articles e.g. https://news.google.com/search?q=%22on+her+blog%22+OR+%22on+their+blog%22+OR+%22on+his+blog%22
- my.blog - .blog TLD website
"Blogs have grown from simple online diaries into the content that fuels the Internet. But no matter what you create — or why you create it — own what you create by putting it on your domain. It’s time to be heard. It’s time to stop compromising. It’s time to own your online presence."
- 2023-01-15 Tracy Durnell: Understanding blogs
…despite being a form of writing for more than 20 years, blogging is surprisingly hard to pin down
- Why: 2021-07-13 Why I Blog. You Should Too!
- Why blog: 2023-09-09 Macroblogging
This is why I’ve started writing more about my travels and life of late, because its what I miss seeing from other people. It used to be that you could subscribe to your friends’ blogs and see what they were up to.