A social reader is a modern interactive reader that allows you to directly respond to posts (with a like, comment, etc) right there inline with posts as you read them (as people do in social media), in contrast to legacy feed readers which were one-way read-only experiences and provided no mechanisms to interact with or respond to posts.
- 📃 Read Aaron Parecki's An IndieWeb reader: My new home on the internet for an introduction
- 🆕 Sign-into Aperture (https://aperture.p3k.io/) and try one of these social readers!
Eddie Hinkle and Kristof De Jaeger are working on Indigenous, which are native iOS and Android reader apps. It is based on Microsub and Micropub. It allows a user to login using IndieAuth, and if a Microsub endpoint is found on the user's primary identity site, a reader interface is shown when the app is opened. It includes the following features:
- See a list of channels
- Preview all posts in a channel, with the option to send a reply via Micropub or view the original post at the permalink.
Grant Richmond and Jonathan LaCour are working on the Together project, which is an open source reader based upon Microsub and Micropub. Together attempts to provide an integrated experience that "brings your IndieWeb experience together," including:
- Preview and subscribe to websites, arranging them into "channels."
- Create interactions including Like, Repost, and Reply, publishing those interactions to your website via Micropub.
- Different layouts to view posts as a timeline, gallery, map or classic 2 pane reader.
Here are a few screenshots of Together as of November 20th, 2018:
Get Started Reading
How to get started with a Social Reader:
- Sign in to https://aperture.p3k.io/login with your domain
- after you sign in you will see a link tag displayed on your dashboard
- Add the <link> tag it generates for you to your web page
<link rel="microsub" href="https://aperture.p3k.io/microsub/000">
- sign in to an IndieWeb reader!
During the past two years there have been several sessions on Social Readers, please add them!