Static Websites was a session at IndieWebCamp Portland 2015.
Notes archived from: http://etherpad.indiewebcamp.com/static
- Hugo - frozen flask (dynamic site, export as static)
WHAT KIND OF DYNAMIC CONTENT YOU NEED ON YOUR SITE:
- contact form
- admin section
Jekyll and rails site together? I need a contact form, comments, etc. - https://github.com/nz/jekyll-rails-hybrid
Compiling on cron/pings on server?
Can we have the benefits of static and dynamic tools?
Not everything should be published with flat files
Can we have one way of delivering a site with both flat files and dynamic services
JS at webmention.io webmention.herokuapp.com
WHY DO WE USE STATIC SITE GENERATORS (e.g. JEKYLL)
- Well documented
- No DB
- Free server on github pages
- Quick to use
- Simple, can use the github UI
- Be able to edit content in text files
- https://github.com/codebar/blog -
- Custom control over HTML
- Collaboration/version management