IndieWebCamp 2015 was a distributed IndieWebCamp Summit held 2015-07-11 through 2015-07-12 in Brighton, England & Portland, Oregon; the fifth annual gathering for independent web creators of all kinds, from graphic artists, to designers, UX engineers, coders, hackers, to share ideas, actively work on creating for their own personal websites, and build upon each others creations.
We should all own the content we're creating, rather than just posting to third-party content silos. Publish on your own domain, and syndicate out to silos.Join us for two days of brainstorming & creating at IndieWebCamp 2015 and be a part of advancing & growing the indie web.
- When: from July 11, 2015 () at 9:30am through July 12 () at 6pm
- 68 Middle Street , Brighton BN1 1AL, England.
- Esri R&D Center, 309 SW 6th Ave, Suite 600, Portland, Oregon, 97204, USA, http://pdx.esri.com.
- Cost: Free
Other URL(s) (for convenience only)
- Schedule - see for links to sessions inline in schedule spots
- Code of Conduct
- Session Proposals
- Schedule Grid - hyperlinked to actual session pages
- Etherpad index: http://etherpad.indiewebcamp.com/2015
Remote IndieWebCamp Parties
IndieWebCamp has a strong tradition of remote participation, typically using IRC, Google Hangouts and Etherpad during as well as after the event. If you can't get to the Portland event, consider remote participating or finding/running an IndieWebCamp remote party near you.
Indieweb Remote Parties:
- Winston-Salem, NC - Talk to Andy Leap for details
See buttons and put one your blog/site sidebar for IndieWebCamp 2015!
Blog and post about IndieWebCamp. See what others are posting: http://tagboard.com/indiewebcamp
- 2015-07-01 gRegor Morrill: 100 Words 016
- 2015-07-13 johannesdachsel.com: Indie Web Camp Brighton 2015
- ... add yours here!
If you'd like to help out, join IRC, and add your name below!
Organizers - alphabetical (see below for specific cities)
- Aaron Parecki - PDX
- Tantek Çelik - PDX
- Bret Comnes - PDX
- bear - can help co-organize for New York (or any eastern locations really)
- David Shanske - will help organize for New York (or any eastern locations if possible). Looking to help with audio/video for remote participants and documenting sessions.
BridgyBridgy is an open source project and proxy that implements backfeed as a service. Bridgy sends webmentions for comments, likes, etc. on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram.
NLNet FoundationNLNet Foundation supports organizations and people that contribute to an open information society, and protects users and developers against software patents.
Esri PortlandEsri Portland is graciously hosting the 2015 event in Portland.
ClearleftClearleft is graciously hosting the 2015 event in Brighton.
"Our mission is to advance the field of user experience design, one exceptional product at a time."
Sponsors for West Coast (Portland)
Sponsors for Brighton
Notes from organizers (and 2014 participants) about what did and did not work for cross-city collaborative sessions:
- good cameras and microphones are super important - Aaron Parecki
- the shared sessions worked well when there was
- a camera with a good view of the people and whiteboard
- someone monitoring IRC for questions - bear
- the dilemma with large time zone swings was being able to participate in another cities remote session - bear
- it's never easy and requires lots of prior planning - bear
Things to try this year
- we could make sure certain "domain experts" are known so everyone could make use of them, something like "HTTPS Hour with bear and ..." - bear
Why multiple cities
Q: What's the rationale for having separate IWCs simultaneously?
A: tl;dr: The short answer is - because people stepped up to organize.
IWC East happened because Jeremy Zilar wanted to host an IWC in NYC simultaneously with the one in Portland.
Then IWC Farther East happened because Brennan Novak wanted to host on IWC in Berlin simultaneously.
The overall rationale(s) is/are because:
- Someone took the initiative and wanted to, and
- it seemed more in the indie spirit as well as
- more decentralized in spirit to encourage and enable multiple locations
Candidate Cities and Dates