2020/Pop-ups/IndieWeb Friendly WordPress Themes
IndieWeb Friendly WordPress Themes is a session at IndieWebCamp Pop-ups 2020.
IndieWebCamp Pop-ups 2020
Session: IndieWeb Friendly WordPress Themes
When: 2020-09-26 9:30 - 11:30 AM (Pacific) / 12:30 - 2:30 PM (Eastern)
Event page: https://events.indieweb.org/2020/09/making-indieweb-friendly-wordpress-themes-8fs9gAVX3OkV
hashtag: for social media and used to create an Etherpad for the session: #WPandMicroformats
Etherpad: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/WPandMicroformats for note taking during the session
Streaming video/audio platform: Zoom
Hack day! (This is meant to be a hack session with help for those who may get stuck).
Demos: Yes - when we're done, show off how well your new hacked theme works on your site.
The IndieWeb WordPress community could use some more theme options. Let's get together as a community and host a Theme raising (a play on the idea of the old Barn raising). We can all work/hack together to make some of the popular WordPress themes more IndieWeb friendly. We'll discuss methods for adding the necessary Microformats and best ways to indieweb-ify a WordPress theme. Either bring your own favorite theme or work from one on a list. All levels are welcome! (We'll try to help newcomers learn to begin tinkering with some WordPress theme code. If you don't have a GitHub account yet, you might create one beforehand and we'll show you how to use it for development, but even without it you can still do a lot with just a text editor.)
This will be a workshop/hack session where we'll discuss the problems and issues related to WordPress and Microformats. Beginners and those without coding experience are welcome/encouraged to attend.
- Chris Aldrich organizer / facilitator
- David Shanske organizer / facilitator
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details) (we're always happy to have additional organizers and facilitators to help out)
- Greg Tangey/Ruxton
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details) (we're always happy to have additional help!)
Newcomers can post a comment on https://boffosocko.com/2020/08/31/making-indieweb-friendly-wordpress-themes-an-indiewebcamp-popup-session/ or reply yes via Twitter to https://twitter.com/ChrisAldrich/status/1300562134699393024. Or you can feel free to just show up on the morning of the event.
- Bring your own theme or a theme you'd like to make more IndieWeb friendly by adding Microformats v2 support
- Ideas for possible themes can be found at https://indieweb.org/WordPress/Development#Themes
- (Optional) Create a GitHub account which you can use/learn during the process
- Those who don't want a GitHub account can simply use their text editor of choice to modify the relevant theme files
To Do List
create events.indieweb.org event
instructions for rsvp: events, this page, or directly on the etherpad
- outline of curriculum
- list of resources/links for attendees
- promotion, promotion, promotion
- to WordPress community
- WordPress Meetups
- DoOO community?