The WordPress.org repository has over 30,000 plugins. There are more outside of the official repository. While not all plugins are expressly designed for Indieweb, some can be used regardless with little to no adjustment.
WordPress Plugins are recommended plugins that can help make your site more IndieWeb friendly.
Common Plugins Summary
|Name/ Wiki Page||Logo||Short Description||Install & feedback||Developer(s)|
|IndieWeb Plugin||Adds rel-me and h-card to your user profile; bundled installer for core IndieWeb plugins.|| WordPress install
||Matthias Pfefferle, David Shanske, WordPress Outreach Club|
|Webmention||Adds Webmention sending support so you can use your blog to reply to posts on other blogs!|| WordPress install
|Semantic Linkbacks||Displays received Webmentions as comments, reposts, likes, and favorites. Supports microformats2.|| WordPress install
||Matthias Pfefferle, David Shanske, Ashton McAllan|
|Micropub||Adds Micropub support to your blog, so you can use any Micropub client to post.|| WordPress install
||Ryan Barrett, David Shanske|
|Syndication Links|| Adds links to syndicated copies of your posts. Supports
|| WordPress install
|IndieAuth||Adds IndieAuth support to WordPress.|| WordPress install
||David Shanske, Matthias Pfefferle, Aaron Parecki|
|WebSub||Short Description|| WordPress install (none currently)
|Post Kinds||Respond to and interact with other sites using IndieWeb standards for different types of posts.|| WordPress install
- 1 Common Plugins Summary
- 2 WordPress Directory IndieWeb Plugins
- 3 Plugins by feature
- 4 Other Indieweb Plugins
- 5 Plugins that May Be of Interest to Indieweb Users
- 6 Past or old tech plugins
- 7 Criticisms
- 8 See Also
WordPress Directory IndieWeb Plugins
The WordPress Plugin Directory has several IndieWeb plugins.
In general, if a plugin has been updated within the past two years, it should be compatible with the latest version of WordPress. If a plugin older than two years, it should be avoided.
- Install the IndieWeb Plugin for WordPress
The IndieWeb plugin also includes a bundled installer for a core set of IndieWeb-related plugins and a dashboard menu for settings of plugins you activate. Additional plugins on the extensions tab of the menu include: Wordpress Webmention Plugin, Semantic Linkbacks, WordPress Micropub Plugin, Post Kinds Plugin, Syndication Links, WordPress Bridgy Plugin, WordPress IndieAuth Plugin, WordPress Microformats2 Plugin, Simple Location, and WordPress WebSub Plugins.
Plugins by feature
Plugins are categorized by the functionality they bring to the IndieWeb WordPress community
To add webmention support to your WordPress site:
- Install the Webmention Plugin
To further enhance webmentions:
- Also install the Semantic Linkbacks plugin. This adds support for richer comments (including the likes, reposts, favorites, RSVPs and classic mentions.
wp-webmention-again provides an async alternative webmention sender/receiver, using WP Cron for both, but it's yet to see a stable release. It also doesn't do any comment formatting.
Kinds of Posts
WordPress supports several different ways of organizing data. To support different kinds of posts, you can try the Post Kinds Plugin.
The Post Kinds adds a taxonomy to the post type in Wordpress allow for posts to be classified as a reply/like/repost etc. This allows archives to be generated for these kinds of posts as well as support to add the appropriate markup.
Publishing to Your Site
You can POSSE manually, but most people automate it. WordPress has many plugins that do this. A few of the most popular are found below.
Multi silo plugins
These plugins have the ability to target multiple silos simultaneously:
- Syndication Links plugin
- Uses Bridgy publish functionality via Webmention
- Requires proper microformats (aka mf2) in one's theme
- Helpful information about formatting for control of POSSE output
- See also: WordPress with Bridgy
- POSSE destinations include Twitter, Flickr, GitHub, Reddit, Mastodon, Meetup, micro.blog, and Pinboard
- Configurable for custom syndication endpoints including Indieweb.xyz and IndieNews
- Works with Micropub clients (like Quill) that support syndication targets.
- Uses Bridgy publish functionality via Webmention
- Jetpack Publicize
- This is the simplest and easiest method, but the results are very simple and don't provide as much control over what is posted compared to other options
- POSSE destinations include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Google+, and Path
- JetPack Premium also has a "Share it Again" feature for paid subscribers.
- NextScripts SNAP aka SNAP
- This has a more complicated setup and requires creating API keys for the used services, but it's both well documented with step by step instructions and allows for the most control over what is syndicated
- POSSE destinations include Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Flickr, Medium, Tumblr, and more than 20 other common social media sites
- Bridgy publish (deprecated; recommend Syndication Links instead)
Single silo plugins
These plugins focus on POSSE to only one target silo each:
- Tumblr Crosspostr (Tumblr only, supports rel-syndication)
- Diasposter (Diaspora* only, supports rel-syndication)
- WP-Crosspost (WordPress-to-WordPress only, supports rel-syndication)
- Medium - Official Medium Plugin. Might be worth trying.
If you POSSE, it's good practice to include rel-syndication links on your WordPress posts.
The Syndication Links plugin is designed to support both manual and automatic entry of rel-syndication links. It is extensible to add support for plugins and has support from Tumblr Crosspostr, Diaposter, Medium, and WP-Crosspost, as well as having integrated support courtesy of rel-syndication plugin for SNAP, Bridgy Publish, and Social.
Also, if you are writing status updates that will be duplicated in the content share boxes in your edit post screen, there is some handy code here to autofill those share fields to save copy/pasting them from the content WYSIWYG.
- Keyring Social Importers - an impressive importer with auto-import functionality and with an easily extendable setup on top of the Keyring plugin. Currently supported networks:
- ... and anything you can build on top of this and the Keyring plugin, for example, 500px is added as a service to Keyring in a github repository.
- DsgnWrks Instagram Importer - for Instagram
- DsgnWrks Twitter Importer - for Twitter
- Ozh' Tweet Archiver - for Twitter (Separately available on GitHub with scripts .csv JSON for importing more than 3200 Tweets imposed by Twitter API; it also has a custom "Twitter" theme available; for additional support and instructions see these two blogposts: 1 2
- FeedWordPress allows one to use RSS feeds of sites to import content and display it on a WordPress site giving attribution to the original piece of content. Used in this way, it could be considered a "poor man's PESOS."
- Integromat appears to be a PESOS service, similar to IFTTT, that can be used with WordPress
The plugin also supports web sign-in, allowing you to sign into your own site using an external endpoint.
Once you have rel-me links set up, head over to indieauth.com and sign in to test that you've set things up appropriately!
If you don't want to add a plugin, you can follow the instructions for adding social media buttons or the documentation for using text widgets. You can also add rel-me links to a custom menu by enabling the Link Relationships under Screen Options on the custom menu page.
More details for setting up rel-me links can be found at https://indieauth.com/setup.
Even if you're POSSEing or you're adding manual syndication urls ( for example, with Syndication Links plugin ) you probably want to pull comments and likes on the social network posts back to your site. This is called backfeed.
Some of the POSSE plugins have built-in functionality to do this for some networks.
- Bridgy - another option is Bridgy, a service that automatically sends webmentions for activity on your POSSEd posts inside silos (before starting to use Bridgy, make sure you first install the webmention and semantic-linkbacks plugins described below).
- Keyring Reactions Importer - a generic, extendable plugin in early stage, on top of the Keyring plugin. It can auto-imports reactions for every post with syndicated links ( see readme of the plugin ) by polling, based on chained scheduled wp-cron events, so it may become heavy. Currently supported networks:
- Facebook - comments & likes
- Flickr - favorites & comments
- 500px - likes, favorites, comments - requires an additional worker for Keyring )
- Instagram - comments & likes
- ... and anything you add
Reader / follower plugins
- PressForward a relatively full featured reader that is also useful for archiving and reposting
- blogrol2email - a combined RSS and microformats reader that uses the (slightly forgotten and abandoned) Blogroll section of WordPress as source and PHP Mf2 parser from User:Waterpigs.co.uk.
- Whisperfollow for feed aggregation
- FeedWordPress or see also
- WPMUDEV Reader (requires subscription, meant for WP multi-site use)
Other Indieweb Plugins
Here are a few more plugins you might want to try. Many require FTP or other more technical setup.
- URL Shortener: WP-Hum
- blavatars (icons)
- IndieWeb reply, repost, like, and RSVP bookmarklets
- Simple Location
- IndieNews Plugin for submitting content to IndieNews
- sg-bookmarks - a custom plugin for creating bookmarks in WordPress. additional details
- WordPress uf2
- Aperture - signs you up with an account on Aperture automatically, so that you can use Microsub apps
The following plugins are deprecated/obsolete and should be uninstalled if you happen to have them:
- "Webmentions for Comments" plugin - now part of webmention plugin. Old description: enable webmentions support for threaded comments.
Plugins that May Be of Interest to Indieweb Users
- Custom feed URL
- Pushpad web push notifications
- People & Places-related to Keyring Social Importer
- Keyring Social Importers (beta) 1
- Moodkind for tracking mood in conjunction with Post Kinds
Past or old tech plugins
There is also an experiment to use composer as alternative to the WordPress plugin directory.