Webmention is a web standard for mentions and conversations across the web, a powerful building block that is used for a growing federated network of comments, likes, reposts, and other rich interactions across the decentralized social web.
When you link to a website, you can send it a Webmention to notify it. If it supports Webmentions, then that website may display your post as a comment, like, or other response, and presto, you’re having a conversation from one site to another!
Want to implement Webmention or learn more about its technical details? See:
Indie Web sites that have implemented webmentions and display them nicely!
- See and add to Webmention developer: IndieWeb Examples for a more thorough time ordered list of sites supporting Webmentions with development details.
Aaron Parecki with p3k
- Aaron Parecki using p3k on aaronparecki.com as of 2013-05-26. Details:
- Posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention (as of 2013-10-12)
Barnaby Walters with Taproot
Jeremy Keith with adactio.com
- Jeremy Keith on adactio.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
- Blog posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention
Barry Frost with barryfrost.com
- Barry Frost on barryfrost.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
Kartik Prabhu with kartikprabhu.com
- Kartik Prabhu on kartikprabhu.com as of 2013-12-03.
Jeena with jeena.net
- Jeena Paradies using a home grown Rails app on https://jeena.net as of 2013-12-06. Details:
- Has a manual form
- Homepage receives webmentions and notifies him per email
Stuart Langridge with Pelican additions
Sebastiaan Andeweg on seblog.nl
- Sebastiaan Andeweg
- Received webmentions are displayed as comments
Daniel Goldsmith with Hugo
Some open source publishing software supports webmentions and is ready for typical users:
- Known personal publishing software sends webmentions and accepts webmention comments (including webmention updates), and likes
- Perch is currently beta testing webmentions
Plugins exist for some open source publishing software:
- Nucleus CMS
- Craft CMS webmention client
- Django (Pre-alpha)
Services you can use with Webmention to send copies of your posts to social meda sites (silos), and receive silo-specific interactions as Webmentions on your site!
brid.gy is a service that sends webmentions for comments/replies, likes, and reposts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram posts. It uses original post discovery to find target links for the webmentions. GitHub repo here.
Tools you can install to send webmentions
- FAQ: Please read this before filing an issue or adding to brainstorming
Blog posts and articles about webmention (newest first)
- 2017-07-16 : Implementing Webmentions (archived)
- 2017-07-15 : What the New Webmention and Annotation W3C Standards Mean for WordPress (archived)
- 2016-04-02 Jon Penland on WPMU DEV blog: Trackbacks vs Pingbacks vs Webmentions for WordPress
- 2016-03-18 James Richman on WPTavern: Is W3C Replicating the WordPress Pingback System?
Webmentions look and feel like human comments
- 2016-03-11 Jeena Paradies Initiating conversations on the IndieWeb; our UX is still quite bad
- 2016-02-18 The Register: Remember WordPress' Pingbacks? The W3C wants us to use them across the whole web
Lurking behind that unassuming name lies something that might eventually offer users a way of ditching not just Facebook and Twitter but also those other massive corporations straddling the web.
- 2015-04-20 Aaron Parecki Results from 6 Months of Expiring Webmention Endpoints
- 2014-12-21 David Shanske One of the building blocks of Indiewebcamp is the webmention
- 2014-11-29 Stuart Langridge Enabling Webmentions - inventor of Pingback enables webmentions on his blog!
- Vouch - anti-spam extension
- Salmention - send webmentions to pages you mention when you get mentioned yourself
- Private Webmention - webmention for private posts
- comments - a key use case for webmention, and post interactions in general
- indieweb messaging - another user case for webmention
- Wikipedia - Webmention
- an @ mention that works across websites; so that you don't feel immovable from Twitter or Fb. https://twitter.com/rngala/status/852354426983591937
- Linked Data Notifications