Sites currently using webmention.io to receive pingbacks on their behalf:
- indieweb.org (this site)
- Marty McGuire on his site at martymcgui.re and podcast at wehavetoask.com
- Jamie Tanna
- Maxwell Joslyn
- Ru Singh
- 1 Features
- 2 How to Use
- 3 What does Webmention.io do?
- 4 Wish List
- 5 Developing
- 6 See Also
Accept webmention and pingbacks for any site by adding a simple html tag
<link rel="webmention" href="https://webmention.io/username/webmention" /> <link rel="pingback" href="https://webmention.io/username/xmlrpc" />
Converts Pingbacks to WebMentions
You can use webmention.io to handle Pingback requests and send them to you as a webmention.
To use, add an html tag like the following, replacing example.com/webmention with your own webmention endpoint.
<link rel="pingback" href="https://webmention.io/webmention?forward=http://example.com/webmention" />
Sends Notification of Valid Webmentions via Web Hook
You can have webmention.io send an HTTP notification for each received, valid webmention to a URL of your choice. You may specify a different endpoint for each domain.
Optionally, you can configure a "callback secret" so that your HTTP endpoint can verify that the notification was sent by webmention.io.
How to Use
If you want to use this right now, you can sign in on the home page https://webmention.io
You are more than welcome to use the pingback->webmention conversion service as described above. Or you can install this on your own server from the source code on Github.
Use with Jekyll
Using with other static site generators
- Marty McGuire's Morris (self-hosted) can be used to store webmention data in json format, and then parsed if the static site generator supports data files.
Notification Web Hooks
- Marty McGuire has written a Hubot script to relay notifications to chat rooms. (source, announcement)
What does Webmention.io do?
- Webmention receiving verification
- does the source page actually link to the target page?)
- Microformats parsing
- parse the Microformats at the source URL
- Response interpretation
- Convert the parsed Microformats to a normalized response object (like, reply, etc)
- Storage of responses
- Retrieval API for responses
- a JSON API for retrieving responses by domain name or individual URL
- A tiny, no-dependencies js file which can fetch comment data from webmention.io and dump it into an element, enabling 2-step comment support:
- Add a <link> to webmention.io
- include this script and add some
<div data-indiecomments data-url="blah"></div>element where you want them to appear
- see https://github.com/aaronpk/webmention.io/issues/104
The source is at github.com/aaronpk/webmention.io
To get set up, clone the repo, run
bundle install in the repo dir, then run