Below is a list of active (or semi-active) Indieweb community members using WordPress on their own personal sites. You might find them on web chat, Slack, IRC, or Matrix (potentially in the #Indieweb-WordPress channel) to ask about their experience (or for help).
- Matthew Mullenweg (creator/founder, originally at photomatt.net, now at http://ma.tt) continuously since project start! (selfdogfood)
- Matthias Pfefferle on notizblog.org with:
- Johannes Ernst (2013) on upon2020.com/blog (full posts) and upon2020.com/banter (short banter) both with
- Social plugin for POSSE to Twitter and Facebook
- Ashton McAllan on Acegiak.net
- David Shanske on david.shanske.com
- Chris Aldrich on http://www.BoffoSocko.com (and several others) with:
- Custom child theme of TwentyFifteen (selfdogfooding)
- SNAP for POSSE to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Flipboard, Instagram
- PESOS of Instagram with location via DsgnWrks Instagram Importer (previously with OwnYourGram)
- Previously used PressForward as a built-in reader and for creating read posts
- I've tried almost every Indieweb plugin out there (and broken most in one way or another) and often contribute documentation
- Chris McLeod on mrkapowski.com/, since 2018
- Colin Tedford on colintedford.com since 2007 (wants to switch to something more static but it'll be a while).
- Scott Kingery long posts on techlifeweb.com more social blurts, quick links and checkins on techlifeweb.com/social
- User:Cambridgeport90.org, currently using Wordpress for her main site at Kat's blog with the default Autonomie theme. Using all of the Indieweb plugins. Posts are combined for now into this single site.
Other independents using WordPress on their primary site
- Christian Crumlish
- Stephen Paul Weber
- Paul Tibbetts Source Code
- Glenn Rice
- Dan Gillmor
- Colin Walker
- Richard MacManus
- Bill Bennett
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
Using on one of their sites
People using WordPress on a secondary site.
- Christophe Ducamp on christopheducamp.com/b - testing WP plugins (research in progress - TBC - 2013-04-15).
- URL Shortener via WP-Hum - activated since July 2012, ex. http://xtof.me/blog/b/405
- Currently testing POSSE research in progress with 2 plugins activated simultaneously
- Crystal Beasley on skinnywhitegirl.com/blog/
- Has moved her primary domain/identity over to Crystalbeasley.com which is statically generated.
Folks have opted to switch away from WordPress for various reasons (e.g. problems noted above). They seem to switch to one of three options, one indieweb, and two silo.
- static site generator or some other IndieWeb project
- silo: WordPress.com hosting service (see below)
- other silo: e.g. Tumblr (others?)
Switched to another project
There are many folks with personal sites that have kept their personal site and webhost, but switched away from WordPress to another solution, e.g. typically a static site generator:
- Aaron Parecki switched from WordPress for his blog to using p3k to post articles on Aaronparecki.com
- 2013-11-10 Julie Pagano to Middleman (http://middlemanapp.com/) : http://juliepagano.com/blog/2013/11/10/site-redesign-using-middleman/
- Peter Molnar used WordPress on petermolnar.eu from 2007-1016 before moving to a static site generator.
Many others have switched to Jekyll or are in the process of doing so, e.g.:
- Crystal Beasley - per recent (2013-11) conversation on IRC
- Joseph Boyle (down as of 2013-10-25)
- Manton Reece was using WordPress on his primary site for several years prior to building micro.blog and then transferring his data there.
- Shane Hudson (2013 UK) on shanehudson.net
- Currently (Jan 2014) using built in post formats to add bookmarks/links privately, experimenting with making these public (as well as an app to post them easier) as well as POSSE'ing tweets and hopefully photos etc too.
- Migrated site to Craft CMS
- Greg Baker on gnb.io
- Folks that were on WordPress that have moved to Tumblr
- Micki Krimmel
- others beforehand ...