2016/NYC/Venues and Checkins
Checkins, Locations, Venues was a session at IndieWebCamp NYC 2016.
(lots of stuff from: IRC starting at https://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-01-22#t1453498993472 )
Demo: old and new tommorris.org checkins.
- Issues with openstreetmap and derived APIs.
- issues w/ licensing of Foursquare data
Offline (actually async) checkins!
- not always online (e.g. underground in a subway station without even cell service nevermindwifi)
- do not want to wait for network! most of the time checking into places I've checked in before, therefore *should* be cached.
- minimize distraction from being "present" and present surroundings (politeness, safety etc.)
- should ok to add checkin comments (shouts), stickers etc. later
- "Post(square)" workaround is awkward - sometimes confuses or annoys friends on Swarm/Foursquare.
- http://maps.me/ for iOS and Android - works well offline; can save bookmarks with notes
- can export bookmarks on iOS to email attachment (KMZ), or to any number or sharing sources on Android
- KMZ file could be used to seed a maps database
- possible future IndieWeb project - forking Maps.me iOS/Android apps to use as Swarm-style checkin apps
- "offline foursquare" projects
- aaron straup cope's privatesquare: https://github.com/straup/privatesquare