Why IndieWeb was a session at IndieWebCamp Bellingham 2017.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/why
IndieWebCamp Bellingham 2017
Session: Why IndieWeb?
When: 2017-05-04 13:45
- Generations of adoption https://indieweb.org/generations : A maturity model that starts geeky, evolves to everybody.
- dev > media > personal domains hosted by third parties > users
- W3C - https://www.w3.org/ standards body for the web.
- DIY culture - Understand who you are in cyberspace
- Power - Personal control over personal data. Agency. Decentralization of control/power/authority.
- Reliability - Surviving the business or technical failure of hosting services and operators
- Freedom to Speak - The power of the press: He owns a press has the power.
Joe: people think they own their stuff on FB / Twitter, e.g. when people post statuses about how they retain copyright of their posts. Why Indieweb helps reassert ownership of their content.
Katie: Having the ability to create in a place they actually own is empowering