Video was a session at IndieWebCamp Austin 2020.
- Video: ▶️42:49s
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/video
IndieWebCamp Austin 2020
When: 2020-02-22 15:30
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
A video has frame rate, resolution, and codec
- Frame rate - 60fps, 30fps, 24fps, etc
- Resolution - how many pixels to store
- Codec - usually codecs will store only the changes in the image data
- webm - open source codec from google
- h264 - most common codec, supported everywhere
- hevc x265 - same quality for half the file size, but requires newer devices
ffmpeg -i video.webm -c:v libx264 -crf 22 -c:a aac -b:a 192K output.mp4
-i video.webminput file
-c:v libx264- use this video codec
-crf 22- 22 is baseline. 28 is variable bitrate.
-c:a aac- audio codec
-b:a 192K- audio bitrate
- Ben hosts on S3, which is cheap, but then uses CloudFront in front which is more expensive but improved latency for people dramatically
- HLS is the industry standard. playlist format, shows which videos are available. you can make multiple bitrate versions available in this list.
- HLS players will know what bitrate they can download, and can switch streams
- each item in the playlist is a set of h264 files ending in .ts
- mediafilesegmenter - takes a video file and chops it up into a playlist