This page is fairly out of date / obsolete and left here for historical purposes.
Scenario: I have a circle of contacts or friends I would like to see a post or some other info from my personal site. I want to have control over whether my post is public, and who can have access to read it.
Tools that do this:
- Diaspora comes closest, but I don't know if any personal tools can currently send messages to a user in a Diaspora pod.
- OpenID + hCard have been implemented for private/limited sharing of personal info. For reading private / limited distribution content (e.g. personal info or messages) on an indiewebsite, there's also OpenID + hCard, which has been implemeneted by at least one individual (Tom Morris):
- OpenID whitelist authentication for private hCard - though this example is for sharing a phone number and other private personal info, the same technique can be used to share a particular post.
- IndieAuth + hCard have also been implemented for private/limited sharing of personal info.
- I have implemented basic Indieauth-based access control on my notes ia auth tags (so I tag the content with auth:private=xyz.com and only myself and xyz.com can see it). I have not found a good way of notifying people that there’s private content available for them — pingbacks require the content to be public, perhaps using indieweb messaging would be more suitable --Waterpigs.co.uk 13:54, 25 February 2013 (PST)
- Perhaps ask Tom Morris to share his code (PHP?) which supported this functionality on his own site a while ago.
Webfinger and XRD could be used to find out what the appropriate contact endpoint for the user is. Diaspora currently uses this to provide info like the user's home pod and public key. Email (with or without encryption?) could be used as a fallback.
Info on implementing Webfinger profiles: 
User XRD examples with some currently defined link types: 
Example Diaspora XRD:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <XRD xmlns="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/xri/xrd-1.0"> <Subject>acct:email@example.com</Subject> <Alias>"https://joindiaspora.com/"</Alias> <Link rel="http://microformats.org/profile/hcard" type="text/html" href="https://joindiaspora.com/hcard/users/4d19647a2c17436a880021d1"/> <Link rel="http://joindiaspora.com/seed_location" type = 'text/html' href="https://joindiaspora.com/"/> <Link rel="http://joindiaspora.com/guid" type = 'text/html' href="4d19647a2c17436a880021d1"/> <Link rel="http://schemas.google.com/g/2010#updates-from" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://joindiaspora.com/public/reid.atom"/> <Link rel="diaspora-public-key" type = 'RSA' href="LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBSU0EgUFVCTElDIEtFWS0tLS0tCk1JSUNDZ0tDQWdFQTNH UjhncnVST3RINWh5NHBLcmlBNGFXZHF2YmJXdVdtTmtCV3dYVmRyNGtuUi9t ckdVRjYKcjlnaUNTOGxYTzdqcFI5SDNCREkxL0dZVnA4M2lwZGl1TUtSZUVL NXNIUWNiN2FVMGZDN25LWjVCT0tjaHJ1QQpWcXNQMnRVVWkrNUtuNmovTzZO Y0tiVzY1V21MUERhQ2JsR3Z4K1A2ZksvaGZQYjVOYnVmcmxsV2l4Z2NGSUsx Ckh0Qk94SG44YUh1eTNPUWtiaTFwby9nTXJzKzNtK2p4VjQ5Ri9oVzFmU2pL UThuaTJXN2tKeWVjS1gyUUpTb3gKZ1Zod2JTTk1xM0EzMWdDOVV5OXQrWlk5 R05lTnhNR3Y4bjJNaEw2TkFNYXFsMVI3Z2FVYnZqRTVGVXc4UFBZcgpZcUtZ WW9yazhRYWFVeE1HRDBjRk1iejRURTdFQXduYlB3TDBmbWFrTTBaTlI1ZlFz aHc3cyt6bGVrajhkUDBvCmVoY2VEUHZJUVBGdjRZMDZncjAzd2x2QW1ZUUR5 NjZKNzB0amhuRUxiWWZtSTBLdFpIUWQ0ZnlPRm5CRzRZTzYKODU5NThtdUJx S2diRE51Zk5rV1pjTUh4QUFIdlQ2WUdNdU5OWncvM0xVQmZxT0g3QlN1cWY2 MHJxdDFGWWlRNgpuTkpjcjltenNXQno2aTAxNzAweGQzaXVzYzU3UllEVVgr SlZpcWNQRFlUSTVSMEF3VG5tQ3d1YTZwT3R0UVZFCnBrakFFVzV5RmhWSHNq NkZtY1dLaFA2dmZ1RndlTU8wWjRkL2FDUWRHdDgxOHBiby92ZVJWSE1BZFNL NnRKd1kKUTNWVCtWeWMzNnhBN0NiWDdJTUkvdWtEUG9LOFVGMnRQSU1pd3Jm b3MvOCs4L0tha3k2Q1hqOENBd0VBQVE9PQotLS0tLUVORCBSU0EgUFVCTElD IEtFWS0tLS0tCg== "/> </XRD>