This article is a stub. You can help the IndieWeb wiki by expanding it.
twtxt is a decentralised, minimalist microblogging service.
It is a CLI tool, as well as a format specification for self-hosted flat file based microblogging. Clients also exist in the form of a Web Application and there are even free publically available services that you can use without installing a client.
Original website: https://twtxt.readthedocs.io/ Widely implemented extentions: https://dev.twtxt.net/
You want to get some thoughts out on the internet in a convenient and slick way while also following the gibberish of others? Instead of signing up at a closed and/or regulated microblogging platform, getting your status updates out with twtxt is as easy as putting them in a publicly accessible text file. The URL pointing to this file is your identity, your account. twtxt then tracks these text files, like a feedreader, and builds your unique timeline out of them, depending on which files you track. The format is simple, human readable, and integrates well with UNIX command line utilities.
- A command-line interface thanks to click.
- Asynchronous HTTP requests thanks to asyncio/aiohttp and Python 3.
- Integrates with existing tools (scp, cut, echo, date, etc.) and your shell.
- Tweet using echo -e "`date -Im`\tHello world!" >> twtxt.txt!
- A simple to implement specification with lots of tools and integration.
There is https://yarn.social/ (previously known as twtxt.net) which is compatible with normal twtxt feeds, but is an extended web-based setup, more resembling mastodon/pleroma, with support for multi-user servers, and writing posts with markdown (of course, just like mastodon, you can also be the solo user on your instance), and public viewing on the web, without needing to set up any clients.
- List of users and bots: https://github.com/mdom/we-are-twtxt
- A twtxt user directory: twtxt.xyz (domain registration lapsed)
- A public free feeds service: https://feeds.twtxt.net
The Hallway https://webring.xxiivv.com/hallway.html
The Hallway is a decentralized forum using twtxt feeds. https://github.com/XXIIVV/webring
- https://search.twtxt.net/ - A global Twtxt search engine and crawler. Powered by the Yarns (https://git.mills.io/yarnsocial/search) engine from Yarn.social - Supports crawling Twtxt feeds via HTTP/HTTPS, Gopher and Gemini protocols.
- https://feeds.twtxt.net/ - An RSS/Atom to twtxt feed aggregator. Consumes RSS/Atom and produces twtxt feeds.
- https://twtxt.net/ - A free public instance of yarn.social as a service. Full feature client with hosted user feeds. Includes Markdown support and in active development.
- https://github.com/pfefferle/wordpress-twtxt - A WordPress plugin.
- twtxt - An original command-line client by buckket: https://github.com/buckket/twtxt
- txtnish - A twtxt client with minimal dependencies: https://github.com/mdom/txtnish
- twet - A command-line client written in Go: https://github.com/quite/twet
- twtxtc - A command-line client written in C: https://github.com/neauoire/twtxtc