Notes from Tantek
Open Source Analytics
Packages you can install on your site to self-host your own analytics (rather than depending on Google analytics).
- Matomo - https://matomo.org (formerly Piwik)
- Awstats - http://awstats.sourceforge.net
- OWA - http://openwebanalytics.com
Use https://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55578 to create custom URLs per downstream syndicated service, e.g. Twitter, FB, etc.
- A: Google tracks in Google Webmaster tools.
- A: If you download Google Analytics to your site and use the current version, it's Google Analytics Async (been around for a while). The old versions aren't supported any more. However, old sites/plugins may be using the older synchronous versions, and thus their speeds may be unnecessarily slowed down.
What are the goals?
What are the goals of analytics on your own indieweb site?
- SEO - better search engine ranking
- more traffic
- ... for a key phrase
- ... for a group of key phrases
- Which syndicated sites are sending me the most ...
- ... traffic
- ... visitors
- Problems with Twitter referrers
- Twitter clients, e.g. Twitterific sends Twitterific.com
Login framework from dedicated to page speed.
- actual load speed
- benchmark the speed
- generates server-side logs that you can drop into other things
Twitter Tweet Button
Embeds in general (like a Tweet button) you can test with implementations of sites like: