2012/Identity on the Web Review
Identity on the Web Review was a session at IndieWebCamp 2012.
Notes from: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/indiewebcamp-review
When: 2012-06-30 11:15
Where: Teroperate (main room)
Identity and Federation
- Identity: OpenID
- Identity: DNS (simple named identifier, fast, distributed cache, e.g. $ dig andy.tel naptr/loc/txt)
- Identity: OAuth (Twitter, Facebook, Github)
- Identity: XRI (i-names)
- Identity: Webfinger, LRDD
Identity versus authentication:
- Identity means: I am <name>.
- Authentication means: prove it.
(U)ser = you use the technology with your personal domain to sign-in to other services
(C)onsume = your personal site accepts (relying party) the technology
- U C technology
- 9 1 OpenID
- 6 1 BrowserID
- 16 2 RelMeAuth/IndieAuth
- 4 3 PubSub
- most 3 Atom
- most ? hAtom
Portability = can I take my identity to competing providers?
Federation? like email
- Activity Streams / Atom / hAtom
- PUSH (PubSubHubbub)
- ActivityStreams [duplicate in notes]
- RStatus (Ruby implementation of OStatus)