OFirehose was a session at IndieWebCamp 2012.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/indieweb-ofirehose
When: 2012-182 16:00 Ception
OFirehose -- firehose for the open web #ofirehose
- Evan Prodromou (session leader)
- Don Park
- Julien Genestoux
- Tantek Çelik
- Brennan Novak
Superfeedr: provide the infrastructure to to PubSubHubbub
- next step: add ability to multiplex the feeds
- e.g. any mention of "Evan Prodromou"
- or within a geo fence
- or with a min number of subscribers
- does provide Firehouse for some of the hubs they host
- some small private hoses
- we only have subscribed firehoses - only includes stuff that someone subscribes to.
Evan: people ask me for a statusnet firehose.
- for all statusnet instances on any server/site
- statusnet instances are their own instances
- Developer convenience - go to a single URI rather than having to subscribe
- Sentiment analysis
- Search engine
- can subscribe to popular keywords to prepopulate search
- Google Alerts approach (keyword notifications)
- Conference updates screen (all posts/photos with a certain hashtag)
Google's use of PuSH
- they put results in search immediately
- they use it for deduplicating - first post instance wins : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LsB19wTt0Q - Matt Cutts interview
How do people feel about aggregating their posts into a firehose?
- OK, especially if it links back to original site
- "I don't want to have someone sell my blog posts on a CD." -Tantek
Garden Hose vs. Fire Hose
Twitter gives some % of their Fire hose openly? Maybe 2%