Chat (IM, Matrix.org) was a session at IndieWebCamp Edinburgh 2015.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/chat
- ... add yourself if you were here!
Matrix Can implement chat using the Matrix protocol.
- Open-source; JSON over HTTP
- All messages stored on your server
- Protocol to standardise how IMs are sent/received
- Specficiation: http://matrix.org/docs/spec/
- Bunch of client SDKs available on Github
What you can do:
- Run your own Home Server to add IM/VoIP to your site using the reference server implementation: https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse
- Federate with the Matrix ecosystem (get bridged services like IRC for free)
- Matrix supports any old JSON; it's not just for IM. Add in support for blog posting? In the past, people have done stuff for drones (position data), animations (spline data), music sharing (MIDI as JSON), etc
- Write bridges to de-silo other services (bridges for XMPP/IRC/Slack/libpurple)
How to integrate matrix with existing indieweb messaging/posting protocols?
Micropub (JSON) -> Matrix? (ie. could Matrix support micropub vocabulary?)
Federation via webmention?