Decentralized Aggregation and Serendipity was a session at IndieWebCamp Austin 2017.
IndieWebCamp Austin 2017
When: 2017-12-09 15:30 CST
mechanisms that have existed in the past
- Webring - similar sites can link to each other
silos took over the discovery and finding new things
how can we do this in a decentralized way?
http://rivva.de - aggregator
- tracked which blogs were talking to each other
- also aggregates twitter mentions of certain URLs on the site
- aggregates different RSS feeds that he follows
- whitelisted list of blogs
How can we help find other people writing about similar things?
"Who to follow?"
- usually not useful
- tom: usually follow people when someone else retweets a tweet
- from your followers to people they're following
- potential danger is creating an echo chamber and not finding people outside that
- linkblog pattern
- whole earth catalog, an early example of this pattern
ways to submit things to aggregators
- opt-in via choosing categories, e.g. wordpress categories
- automatic keyword search across all posts, might mixing worlds, not what people expect
hosting one that anyone can add to, vs hosting one where only you post to
- e.g. host a linkblog, vs host a hackernews instance
likely that community hubs will be small, because people will want to be self-organizing into smaller communities in response to the growth of twitter/facebook