Static dynamics was a session at IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/static
- sebastian (session faciliator)
- walter ebert
- no running code on the server, no plugins, no security problems
- no maintenance
- speed - pages do not have to generated on request
what needs to be dynamic?
- sending webmentions
- receiving webmentions
- display comments and likes
- feedback even after months
- pelle wesmann receives webmentions and re-generates his website then
- cweiske uses stapibas that sends webmentions to links in his feed
what is "dynamic"?
- is next day enough?
- dominic: if it isn't nearly instant, don't have comments. no discussion otherwise
- slow conversations vs. ideas bouncing around
- long posts don't require instant comments
- twitter-sized posts only thrive through instant comment display
problems with webmentions / comments
- moderation takes time
problems with jekyll =
- ruby, hard to install
- webmentiont theme required multiple plugins that did not work with each other or the ruby versions required by the other plugins
- alternative: hyde, used by sebastian
idea for static+dynamic comments
text serialization: HTML or markdown?
- some use markdown
- some HTML
- markdown is limiting
- HTML is sometimes too heavy, when you want to concentrate on writing
where to run dynamic things?
- own server
- online service
- at home