Shortcuts was a session at IndieWebCamp Amsterdam 2019.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/shortcuts
IndieWebCamp Amsterdam 2019
When: 2019-09-28 17:15
- David Bryant
- Aaron Parecki
- Sebastiaan Andeweg
- Marty McGuire
- Rosemary Orchard not present but discussed because she is an expert in all things Shortcuts and iOS 13.
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
What's new in iOS 13?
The Automators Podcast Episode 32 has a lot of info.
- installed by default!
- less dependence on variables
- lots of new triggers like arrive/leave locations, connect to certain wifi network
What does this have to do with IndieWeb?
- Shortcuts can act as a Micropub client
- Example: share an image on your phone. in the share targets, a "Post a Photo" shortcut appears. choosing it prompts you for e.g. text to include in the post. it sends the micropub post to your site and gets back a URL.
- Micropub requests must be authenticated, so you'll need to store your authorization token and the URL of your micropub endpoint
- a shortcut can be constructed to walk through the IndieAuth steps, but It's Complicated. Easier to create a "Micropub Config" shortcut which outputs a dictionary.
- you make the actual Micropub request with the "Get Contents of URL" action.
- Form-Encoded posts are the easiest, here, but JSON posts can be done. The difficulty is that JSON-encoded posts require all values to be wrapped in an array.
This is hard for us to take notes on because we're all poking at our phones.