Jump to navigation Jump to search
- URL shorteners help you make better use of limited characters in editing tools where you would like to share a link but are restricted by a character count.
- If you use an external URL shortener, you are beholden to their service being active and working. If the URL shortener becomes inactive, existing URLs created may be broken.
- "Aside from search engines, I can’t think of any other type of website that could disable so many links on so much of the internet in one fell swoop than a URL shortening service." urlTea now tr.im, this stuff is scary
Open source libraries and implementations to run your own URL shortener:
- "NFTs are just URL shorteners with a thick layer of grift applied on top" @nrrd March 17, 2021
- SgLinks the next URL shortener to go
- GitHub is deprecating their git.io service, encouraging people to use another shortener instead: https://github.blog/changelog/2022-01-11-git-io-no-longer-accepts-new-urls/
- URLTeam archiving project