Before the dawn of time - or a proper domain - I went through a cycle of Microsoft FrontPage, a self-composed, PHP CMS, WordPress, and now I'm back on static(ish) site generation since 2016. The project is called Not Another Static Generator, a glorified Python script, and it uses webmention.io, brid.gy, and Telegraph to be indieweb-friendly.
Reasoning, lessons, conclusions:
- https://petermolnar.net/running-a-static-indieweb-site/ [2018-08-07]
- https://petermolnar.net/making-things-private/ [2017-10-28]
- https://petermolnar.net/going-static/ [2016-12-31]
I ended up outsourcing a lot of content from my site. Currently it's only the home for:
- longer, IT related articles
- long journal entries, mostly about travel
- short entries
The outsourced bits:
- bookmarks - wallabag does a spectacular job at archiving bookmarks
- reposts - reposts are messy, legally and technically
- likes, favorites, etc - I keep them in-silo - they don't make sense out of context
However, I want to remember favs & like, so I made silo.PASTA, a bunch of scripts that creates PASTA archives from them from various silos, and extends these archived images with EXIF data regarding their source and author, following Christian Weiske's idea on the topic.
- wp-webmention-again - an alternative webmentions plugin for WordPress. It's most probably broken by now.
- Blogroll2email- turns the Blogroll part of WordPress to feed (atom, rss, mf2) parser to send entries as mail; supports granary json-mf2 format
- wp-shortslug - use pubdate epoch converted to base36 (0-9a-z) as short permalink
- wp-flatbackups - an auto-exporter for WordPress, creating a flat, directory based copy of YAML + Markdown (and/or HTML) of every post. This can't be imported, just servers as a fallback plan for longevity.
- wp-url2snapshot - to have a backup copy of a linked website, the plugin pulls in an html-only version of every link it can find in any post content and stores it for potential future use. In case a link is not snapshotted yet and is not available on the web anymore, it tries to fall back to the last available version on archive.org.
- Keyring Reactions Importers a reactions (like, fav, comment, etc ) importer for various silos
Topics for next IWC (or something similar)
- OPML / following shares - format, how, what, what not to, what to do with NSFW or private parts
- follow up Jeremy Keith's idea of licence discovery for reposting