Before the dawn of time - or a proper domain - I went through a cycle of Microsoft FrontPage, Macromedia Dreamweaver, a self-composed PHP CMS, WordPress, and now I'm on static(ish) site generator. This lead to ~3k lines of static, and a few lightly complex regex redirects, so I suggest better planning for URLs.
Some route I've taken are now overtaken by others; a learning curve, if you prefer. These are all still valid.
- https://petermolnar.net/article/less-features-cleaner-site/ [2020-06-01]
- https://petermolnar.net/running-a-static-indieweb-site/ [2018-08-07]
- https://petermolnar.net/making-things-private/ [2017-10-28]
- https://petermolnar.net/going-static/ [2016-12-31]
My site is currently only hosting:
- longer, IT related articles
- journal(ish) and travel entries
- rare short entries
What I've outsourced:
- bookmarks - wallabag does a spectacular job at archiving bookmarks including text- and image content without the overhead of storing the real original content
- reposts - reposts are messy, legally and technically
- likes, favorites, etc - they don't make sense out of context, but in order to have an archival copy, I made silo.pasta. It's a PASTA approach to save favs (and similar data)from various silos.
- my current syndication flow for new entries is on Integromat: it fetches my RSS feed and distributes the content to Google Groups, Flickr, and a fediverse instance through brid.gy; sends a webmention from the syndicated copy back to my site; saves the entry and all URLs to archive.org; sends webmentions to u-in-reply-to links via telegraph.p3k.io