https://sebastiangreger.net has been my home on the web since January 2005, and gradually indiewebified since 2013. The current site is running on Kirby 3 since 2019, after operating on Wordpress for many years - a step that finally brought back the joy of designing and developing for it (trading the complexity of Wordpress for the flexibility of Kirby).
As a testbed and proof-of-concept for my work on privacy-centred design, the site's frontend operates entirely without third-party requests; all resources are loaded locally, cookie-free and without tracking the user.
The Indieweb features of my website are powered by a suite of self-built Kirby plugins:
- kirby3-sendmentions sends out Webmentions for newly published posts
- kirby3-commentions is a comment system that treats incoming Webmentions as comments (no "backfeed" of social media commentary)
- kirby3-selfauth, an adaptation of selfauth that provides a stand-alone implementation of IndieAuth (allows authentication to other websites by logging in to Kirby)
- kirby3-micropublisher is an adapt- and configurable Micropub plugin, allowing me to post new content via Micropub
- a bespoke reader and bookmarking setup (private project for the forseeable future) serves as my preferred RSS/Twitter client and bookmark manager: a set of cronjob-powered spaghetti code in Python, integrated with PHP as Kirby plugins
I no longer use, maintain or develop my custom Wordpress plugins:
- sg-syndication - a POSSE syndication plug-in for WordPress
- sg-bookmarks - the attempt to create a Delicious-like personal bookmark management into WordPress
- 2020-06: Designing a commenting system with data ethics in mind
- 2020-04: Micropub for Kirby — a design exercise unlocking countless possibilities
- 2020-01: Using Kirby as an IndieAuth authentication endpoint
- 2019-05: Sendmentions and Commentions - webmention plugins for Kirby 3
- 2018-05: The Indieweb privacy challenge (Webmentions, silo backfeeds, and the GDPR)
- 2016-09: Takeaways from IndieWebCamp Brighton 2016
- 2014-03: An audience/context-conscious POSSE syndication plugin for WordPress
- 2014-01: Identity, content, audience and the (independent) web
- 2014-01: 2014 – time to fix the internet?!