This article is a stub. You can help the IndieWeb wiki by expanding it.
Web sign-in is signing in to websites using your personal web address (without having to use your e-mail address). Web sign-in provides a simpler replacement for OpenID.
Web sign-in is much simpler to use and implement than previous methods of signing in with your own domain like OpenID.
Using your own domain is safer than a 3rd party email service, and simpler than email on your own domain.
See Why web sign-in for more reasons why you should use it.
A site or service that that supports web sign-in provides the following user experience (UX):
- sign-in or login link, that when clicked goes to or reveals #2
- text field for entering a web address (can be its own page or part of a drop down dialog) that when submitted does #3
- verifies the user has control of that domain (e.g. via RelMeAuth, IndieAuth, or by calling a service that does one, both, or more)
- visual indication that someone is signed-in
- a sign-out or logout link, that when clicked clears out any login state and goes to #1
Web sign-in does not require any specific protocol, though typical web sign-in UX may support one or more of:
And in addition to at least one of those, may direct silo-specific profile URLs (e.g. twitter.com/username) to silo-specific sign-in (e.g. sign-in with Twitter)
See web-sign-in-protocol for a more detailed example of Web sign-in, or https://microformats.org/wiki/web_sign-in.
Examples of IndieWeb sites that support Web Sign-in:
Sebastiaan Andeweg supports Web Sign-in on seblog.nl to show
- private / limited audience posts (via a "/private" new nav item that appears when signed in)
- signed-in only posts (e.g. checkin posts) on the home page stream (as well as the ability to click and view the permalinks of those posts)
- when seblog.nl is signed-in in particular:
- homepage mentions listed on a separate page (/messenger)
- indielogin.com - implements web sign-in via RelMeAuth, IndieAuth, email and PGP
- IndieAuth.com - an implementation of Web sign-in and RelMeAuth
- relmeauth PHP library - open source
- relmeauth Python library - open source
- IndieAuth-OpenID cweiske's open source IndieAuth to OpenID proxy
See https://microformats.org/wiki/relmeauth#open_source_implementations for more.
- 2013-08-26 How to set up Web Sign-in on your @squarespace website
See also IndieAuth articles.
- Why web sign-in
- Web Sign-In Use Cases
- To do: clarify this page is written for developers, and where to go as a user.