- zeldman uses The Deck to serve ads
- daringfireball uses ???
Facebook uses their own ad system.
Example ad for example.com:
Ad models can be exploitative
Advertising based business models are to be avoided as they are exploitative.
Nonetheless many companies who provide a "free" service, are actually ad-based businesses
May cause UX failure
Lazy loading ads which reflow the page (i.e. an ad at the top that doesn't take up space to begin with to avoid an awkward blank area at the top of the page) can cause UI elements to move and thus may result in the user clicking on something they did not intend to. E.g. (likely artificially constructed example for illustrative purposes)
- 2017-09 TEDGlobal NYC: https://www.ted.com/talks/zeynep_tufekci_we_re_building_a_dystopia_just_to_make_people_click_on_ads
- 2018-08-15 NYTimes: Are Targeted Ads Stalking You? Here’s How to Make Them Stop
- Criticism: 2018-12-26 https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1078003966863200256.html
- Criticism: helps fund misinformation web sites: https://disinformationindex.org/2019/09/the-quarter-billion-dollar-question-for-ad-tech/