- "As always, IRC and email are more reliable ways to contact me than anything involving a phone number." https://rhiaro.co.uk/2019/09/phone
- Criticism: 2018-06-05 BoingBoing: It's really easy to steal your cellphone number, and that's a gateway to stealing everything else
- a way to get audio interrupt spammed with faked local number callerID, thread: https://twitter.com/davidwalshblog/status/1202607635276664832
- "I absolutely *loathe* how you can't even answer the phone anymore. Always a bot. Always. I hate it." @davidwalshblog December 5, 2019
- Caller ID spoofing used by fraudsters to trick you and your bank, man-in-the-middle (MitM) etc.: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/04/would-you-have-fallen-for-this-phone-scam/
- Virtual phone number provider: https://www.mightycall.com/virtual-phone-number/
- 2019-10-10 Fast Company: Stop giving companies your phone number. Do this instead / Facebook and Twitter admit that marketers accessed the phone numbers people gave them for security verification.
Facebook told me that they will only delete your phone number from their records if you delete your entire account.
- why NOT to publish your phone number on your website (or anywhere on the web, or even add it to a social media profile):
2021-09-27 SF Chronicle: 'He held me hostage with no gun but with his words': The phone scam gaslighting therapists
The victims … many of whom list their work cell phone numbers on a website