A site archive is an archive of an entire version of a site, often made static, and typically served at a subdomain of the original site.
A site archive is still considered an archive (rather than an archival copy) when served from a subdomain (or even subpath) of its previous domain, in contrast to being served from another domain entirely like archive.org.
To preserve your previous site content and URLs (with redirects) without worrying about having to replicate everything in your new/current site.
- Use a subdomain on your original site.
- Setup redirects for your old URLs to use the subdomain version.
- 2016-11-11 : Flattening a Site: From Database to Static Files
- 2017-08-07 : A Web Diet: Converting WordPress Sites Over to Static Sites (archived)
Aaron Parecki has archived at least a couple of past versions of his site:
Tools and Resources
- Site Sucker for Mac
- HTTrack Website Copier for Windows, Linux/Unix/BSD
- How to use wget and get all the files from website