Small Web is a phrase used in a 1999 article, a hosting service, two consulting services, a May 2020 article, a Aug 2020 blog post to aspirationally describe (without citing) a subset of IndieWeb principles, and most recently a HackerNews summary of Gemini.
- 1999-09-09: Science Magazine: It's a Small Web After All
- 2020-05-25: Rediscovering the Small Web, written by Parimal Satyal, is a post extolling the virtues of handmade HTML web pages
This essay is my attempt to show you what the small and independent web can look like, why it’s different from the the sites that dominate web traffic today, why it's worth exploring and how easy it is for anyone to be a part of it.
- 2020-08-07: What is the Small Web?
Criticism of Aug 2020 repurposing
The 2020 August repurposing of "small web" and subsequent rhetoric describes what the "small web" aspires to be in comparison to a narrowly-framed view of what the IndieWeb actually already is today in practice, and thus is an example of the Nirvana fallacy.
Digital greenwashingFrom https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24269071:
Appropriate all the good values and ideas from https://indieweb.org/, re-heat it add some feel-good word salad and we have this "Small Web".
Yes, by all means let's get back to a more decentralized and distributed web. But providing a service where you are still hosting your site on someone else's servers and on someone else's domain and calling for values is just digital green-washing.
Narcissism of Small Differences
Desire to be left alone
Just fucking leave us alone and let us get on with building what we’re building. You don’t have to use it. You don’t have to like it. And you sure as hell don’t have to approve it. Just do what you do and leave us alone, for fuck’s sake. And ffs, stop asking me about #indieweb
Criticism of this page
- Expletive: https://web.archive.org/web/20201030121011/https://twitter.com/aral/status/1322147826755919875
Because we’ve been vilified and attacked by them off and on for the last 7 years. Because we’re not afraid to say fuck Google and fuck surveillance capitalism and no, we can’t all just get along.
https://indieweb.org/small_web <– fuck off
PS. This is Small Web: …
- "centrist academic pedants who get paid by the system" and "aggressively gatekeep" https://web.archive.org/web/20201030133725/https://twitter.com/aral/status/1322150412703641601
… I hadn’t seen that page. Makes my blood boil. Fucking centrist academic pedants who get paid by the system, have zero interest in fundamentally changing it, and who will aggressively gatekeep lest anyone else try to. …
- fluffy's response to a Hacker News thread about IndieWeb
- slow web
- Small Internet idea and manifesto dating to 2019
- slow web