A smart watch is a watch that has a high resolution display, usually touch-sensitive, and apps similar to handheld mobile devices, often used to receive push notifications from a smart phone without having to retrieve & unlock it, sometimes used at HWC meetups to remote control a smart phone camera to take a photo with everyone in it.
Why use a smart watch
- Use-case: remote control a phone camera (e.g. Apple Watch to iPhone) to take a group photo with everyone in it; we often did that at HWC SF.
- Pebble — product line of a single company
- Android Wear — watch operating system that runs on hardware provided by several companies
- Apple Watch
- size — too large compared to "normal" watches
- battery life — too low compared to "normal" watches or even sports watches)
- marginal utility as a companion to a smart phone