surveillance is the monitoring of behavior usually unbeknownst to those being monitored, on the web with 3rd party cookies, and possibly even on some IndieWeb sites with analytics trackers like Google Analytics.
- "Ring is thrilled about having filmed millions of small children on Halloween, according to its Instagram story" @carolineha_ November 5, 2019
- 2019-11-20 The Atlantic: The Most Useful App Is Find My Friends / In defense of location sharing, the best way to make life into a movie
…valid criticisms around the big tech companies harvesting our personal data, and the governments creating smart cities that function to surveil us…
- 2019-11-15 Pew Research : Americans and Privacy: Concerned, Confused and Feeling Lack of Control Over Their Personal Information
Majorities think their personal data is less secure now, that data collection poses more risks than benefits, and believe it is not possible to go through daily life without being tracked
- 2019-11-21 Amnesty International: Facebook and Google’s pervasive surveillance poses an unprecedented danger to human rights
…the surveillance-based business model of Facebook and Google is inherently incompatible with the right to privacy and poses a systemic threat to a range of other rights including freedom of opinion and expression, freedom of thought, and the right to equality and non-discrimination.though ironically that Amnesty International article itself places cookies by default without individual consent:
Minimize data collection
IndieWeb sites and services should seek to collect and hold a minimum (if any at all) data about visitors and users. The less data that is kept, the less you have to be responsible for, or could be intercepted or otherwise accessed by others for surveillance purposes.
- smart speaker
- 2019-12-11 Bloomberg: Silicon Valley Is Listening to Your Most Intimate Moments
How the world’s biggest companies got millions of people to let temps analyze some very sensitive recordings.