smart speaker is a voice interaction hardware device that answers various queries via an internet-based centralized service like Amazon Echo or Google Home; from an indieweb perspective, it is possible to use your own website instead like Benbot.
- 2017-10-12 Business Insider: The Google Home Mini secret-recording fiasco is a major black eye at the worst possible time for Google
… a reviewer discovered the device was quietly recording his conversations without his knowledge or consent
- 2017-10-10 Android Police: Google is permanently nerfing all Home Minis because mine spied on everything I said 24/7
- 2017-04-12 The Verge: Burger King’s new ad forces Google Home to advertise the Whopper
- Ok boomer: https://twitter.com/gnat/status/1191600041040863232
- ""OK Boomer" only works on Boomers from Google. If your Boomer is from Apple, you have to say "Hey, Boomer." If it's from Amazon, you can simply preface your instruction with "Boomer", e.g. "Boomer, stop."" @gnat November 5, 2019
- 2019-12-11 Bloomberg: Silicon Valley Is Listening to Your Most Intimate Moments
How the world’s biggest companies got millions of people to let temps analyze some very sensitive recordings.
- 2020-08-06 The Independent: Google accidentally enables Home smart speakers to listen in to everyday house sounds
Users have received notifications when their Google Home speakers hear smoke alarms or breaking glass
- 2020-08-23 WIRED: Meet the Star Witness: Your Smart Speaker
Earlier this month, Amazon said it had received more than 3,000 requests from police for user data in the first half of this year, and complied almost 2,000 times.(also tweeted https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1297594731392831491 deleted but still archived https://web.archive.org/web/20200823180141/https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1297594731392831491)
- 2020-12-14 The Verge: Google discontinues the Google Home Max