StaticPrivatePosts was a session at IndieWeb Summit 2016.
Notes archived from: http://etherpad.indiewebcamp.com/staticprivatepost
Private Posts for Static Websites
Kinds of private posts:
- shared drafts
- this is only for me for all time
- this is for me and some subset of people
- wanted to RSVP to indieweb summit but not make my attendance public
- "public" versus "publicized" - difference between who is able to access it, vs who it *should* be pushed to (hidden, draft, authenticated access ony) ?
Authentication at the web server level
- reads a list of domains that can view the post, the web server handles sending the HTTP headers for authentication
How to easily share with more than one person?
- create a URL for a group, add that URL as the audience for a post
- webmention for the URL to each person in the group would happen
- tie into rsvp?
the audience for this post is twitter.com/willnorris
- @willnorris can sign in with twitter to see the post
- any URL equivalent to twitter.com/willnorris can also view the post (bidirectional rel=me links)
Nginx Lua plugin to handle authentication at the web server level
- where to store the access control list?
- an implementation detail, but there are many options
- a dot-file ACL where everything under that path is restricted to that audience
- in Redis
- in meta tags in the HTML (but then can't use this to protect images)