IndieWeb by mail was a session at IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/email
IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017
Session: IndieWeb by mail
When: 2017-05-20 16:30
- walter ebert
Initial motivations for participating in session:
- target group of personal blog includes people not using "traditional" web tools (rss, indie reader, twitter)
- email is used by everybody
- easy way to reach people
- increasing popularity of e-mail newsletters, particularly in web scene
- indieweb site as a tool for newsletter/zine-style publishing
- creating content on the web feed
- semi-automated generation of a "zine"
- people's ability to permanently scan other websites is limited
- possibility to subscribe sparse "publication" from a source that has valuable information and is trustworthy
- traitionally newspapers relevant because of the redactional filter
- liberation "it is great to publish/read everything"
- renaissance of curated publications?
important difference: active/passive
- thing on the web i need to pick up
- email comes to me (i once decided to subscribe, now i don't need to worry about it)
- twitter is a stream that runs past ("llike a firefighter's hose that you can take into your mouth or not")
- related topic: notifications
- now also possible in the browser
- possibilities on/off
- twitter "moments": user can aggregate reader-centric collections of tweets
- attitude as the pubisher is different:
- here's my newsletter - i have curated this for you
- vs. web: here's my stuff, i push it to my site and you can go read it if you want
- sending frequency is crucial design aspect
other differentiating aspect of e-mail:
- email has two content compontent: subject and message content
- this is similar in most feed readers
- very efficient way to go through large amounts of information at once
- reason for popularity of feed readers with power users
- twitter does not provide this
- allows pre-screening for the reader
- in social media silos often images serve to attract interest rather than a "subject line" in emails
posting by e-mail
- not used much
- wordpress enables posting-by-mail
- github enables reply-by-mail and adds mail as comment to issue
feedback loop on e-mail?
- link to a url that registers a "like"
- tracking should be kept to a minimum
- carefully evaluate collection of personally identifiable data (opens/clicks) in the emails
html vs plain e-mails
- how to make plain text from html? (problems e.g. with hyperlinks indicated by footnotes)
provicative quesstion: what does e-mail have to do with indieweb? > email as distribution channel?
- email as a posse syndication channel:
- sending to various target groups
- targeing possibilities?
- every post separate or aggregate e-mails
- unclear how "this week on the indieweb"-email is created (manual component in the workflow?)
- bookmarking via e-mail: sending urls to indie bookmarking system
sgreger plans to use https://sendy.co/ to send mails