Building blocks 2: IndieAuth + Micropub was a session at IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/micropub
IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017
Session: Building blocks 2: IndieAuth + Micropub
When: 2017-05-20 14:30
- [aaronpk] (session faciliator)
- jeremy cherfas
- ...add names and URLs
- How can we quickly make posts on my site without copying files around
- Other people can build better interfaces, but I want to use them with my site - e.g. an iPhone app
- https://quill.p3k.io/ is aaronpk's micropub client reference implementation
What do we need?
- Authorization endpoint that controls who may post to your site
- Token endpoint is plumbing only
- Micropub endpoint is storing the posts to your site
- static site - micropub endpoint would need to creat those files
- media endpoint for storing things like images to go with posts
How do we do it?
- POST request with a number of parameters
- endpoint would need to use that data to create the static file or save to database
- Known stores webmentions in database as posts
- What if my website needs a different set of data?
- A Micropub server will except anything that follows the microformat structure. If your website needs undocumented data, there is nothing in the Micropub specification that will stop you from sending it.
- How can we give people one-off identities? Or allow them to login to places without owning a domain?
- quill is still able to post to my site when I logout from quill
- I have to remove quill from my authorized application list
- it is not possible to force an application to tell the access token endpoint that a user signed out. that's also not in the spec currently
- oauth is the same, and indieauth is based on oauth
- Authentication vs authorisation is particularly hard to explain.
- How to make it clear what block is meant when saying “authorisation server”?
- Token based auth.
- Questions come up, but how much should IndieWeb document about OAuth?
- Can questions about token validity be left unanswered?
- What is “plumbing”, what is important for onboarding?
This session was broadcasted live on the IndieWebCamp YouTube channel.