I am Martijn. Once upon a time I followed an online lesson in HTML on my grandfather’s computer. Then I built websites on MSN Groups (R.I.P.) and GeoCities (R.I.P.). From March 2016 to March 2017, I was working professionally with PHP in the Netherlands. Besides that I work mostly with front-end technologies in my spare time.
Very interested in tools for a multilingual web. I speak Dutch (
en-GB), and Swedish (
sv-SE) fluently. I have a good understanding of German (
de-DE) as well. Accessibility and crazy loopholes in specs are hobbies of mine.
You might know me as Zegnat from the IndieWeb chat. In fact, some would say I am the IRC rebel fleet leader. The explanation behind the name Zegnåt (note the diacritical mark) is available on my personal wiki.
You can link to this page using
My personal website.
- All lowercase. This is important because directory names are case-sensitive on the server.
- With a trailing
/. Less important, but canonical. It is a directory.
- Serving HTTP. Plans to move to HTTPS are being discussed.
- The domain will not be moves to HTTPS until it is moved to a new hosting company or Binero offers free certificates.
The domain name
vanderven.se was first registered in 2006 to bring all of the family’s email under a single provider. Since 2008 information about me has been available on
vanderven.se/martijn/. (Though I had a short-lived fling with
martijn.vanderven.se as well.)
The content of
vanderven.se/martijn/ has stayed very static from early 2014 to mid-2017, with only minor iterative presentation changes. During IWS 2017 it was drastically rebuilt both in information contained, its markup, and its presentation.
The 2017 Rebuild
The rebuild not only tries to do a better job of reconsolidating all my online identities through rel-me links, but also adds an additional heap of personal information like length, weight, pronouns, and relationship status. The reasoning behind some of this data is that is was always available to people through other silos, but never through a canonical representation.
“Facebook should not contain more information about me than my own homepage.”
My activity feed.
Will be published on
The domain name
licit.li was first registered in 2012 to become a personal domain (minus the use to represent myself).
- The first post using tags went live on 2016-11-25.
- Posts were given permalinks on 2016-11-23. Most readers will now be compatible with the h-feed.
- The first post happened on 2016-09-25 after going live with my own storage system.
As of 2015-07-29 it accepts webmentions through
- This is gone since 2016-09-24 when it moved to a new hosting instance and the subdomain was dropped.
- As of 2015-06-01 is it hosted by Uberspace.de and development has restarted to join the IndieWeb movement.
- Sweden’s very first Homebrew Website Club, (Göteborg, 2015-07-29).
- IndieWebCamp Düsseldorf 2016, (Düsseldorf, 2016-05-07–08).
- IndieWebCamp Brighton 2016, (Brighton, 2016-09-24–25).
- Homebrew Website Club Nürnberg, (Nürnberg, 2016-11-23).
- Met up with the Tollwerk crew and tinkered on from where I left things at IWC Brighton.
- Permalinks were added to
licit.li, as well as an editor for working on the posts.
- Co-organised The Netherlands’ very first Homebrew Website Club, (Schiphol, 2016-11-30).
- Met Sebastiaan Andeweg.
- Co-organised the first Virtual Homebrew Website Club in “European time”, (talky.io, 2017-05-31).