Jump to navigation Jump to search
Notes from Virtual Homebrew Website Club, June 13, 2018 written collaboratively on Etherpad. People who have collaborated on the notes have a ✏️ marking them in the attendance list.
Attendance: J. Gregory McVerry ✏️, Jack Jamieson ✏️, Jeremy Cherfas, Mark Dain, Martijn van der Ven ✏️, Marty McGuire ✏️, Scott Merrill, sketchness, Sven Knebel ✏️.
(Note: Grant Richmond is shown by Etherpad as having fixed some notes, but wasn’t on my list of people in Mumble. Woops!)
- Keeping the same handle on different silos.
- Specifically keeping different handles on different platforms for privacy.
- Martijn van der Ven knows several people – mostly from LGBT communities – that do this.
- Different between posts (articles?) and notes.
- jackjamieson had to distinguish by checking whether titles and contents were the same.
- J. Gregory McVerry notes how WordPress really wants you to add a title to everything you write.
- This is especially important with syndication, because plugins & themes are very dependent on it.
- microformats in WordPress
- Converting themes to mf2.
- Yearly releases: GWG tries to add the mf2 (?). Most old mf1 has been stripped so parsers should no longer be confused (?).
- Meta Mumble discussion: registration, and adding comments to users.
- Had a discussion about handles and when we have different handles, why people have differnet handles, risk of handles getting stuck
- We then discussed how different themes handle microformats and what you can do to.
- I gave up on doing noterlive. I would have to have people set up and know voices better. —J. Gregory McVerry
- It's difficult to live-note a vHWC due to the open back-and-forth nature of the discussion. — Marty McGuire
- Especially as I have lost a bit of typing speed. —J. Gregory McVerry
- Then we discussed who will be going to IWS
- International travel. Payment systems.
- Changes needed to Mumble tutorial
- add the audio testing. Need to delete files first
- Add the changing second button and push to talk button
- add the voice to chat turning off
- Book read posting
- gRegor Morrill released https://indiebookclub.biz/
- ISBN linking (amazon, worldcat, ... author- or publisher webpage would be nice, but hard to do, since there's no good registry as far as we know)
- Martijn made his first post to indiebookclub.biz
- We then talk to a bookmark discussion
- Jeremy asks is it just a boomark a like, etc
- Ancarda discusses how it is an archive for him. It was interesting
- Micropub discussion
- There is a discussion of micropub endpoint and and how they work.
- Micropub to github - Martijn van der Ven: https://github.com/voxpelli/webpage-micropub-to-github
- Marty McGuire informs Mark Dain of his setup that does Micropub for a flatfile backend that runs through git, by running different githooks to generate a new build of his website.
- Glitch as a platform for quickly writing and publishing HTML. With integration to GitHub. https://glitch.me/
- Getting citation data from Google scholar (to convert to h-cite). Google Scholar does okay for journal articles but book chapters etc. tend to be pulled from author websites and the formatting is inconsistent. So Google's results are inconsistent too.
- Bibtex - parsing authors is difficult because the spec says authors should be separated by &, but in practice they are often separated by commas