IPFS is self-described as “a new hypermedia distribution protocol”.
There have been some IPFS meetups in Portland, Oregon starting in July 2015.
- https://ipfs.io/ website itself is all stored in IPFS and hosted using an IPFS gateway. For example you can also see the site at any other public gateway, such as here: http://dweb.link/ipns/ipfs.io/
- http://juan.benet.ai/ (founder Juan Benet’s site) is a static site that says it "It runs on IPFS." (selfdogfooding) as of 2019-03-07 (previously had no mention as of 2019-02-28; site appeared unchanged since 2014).
Marcus Povey has an experimental plugin with IPFS support for Known.
- As of 2019 the https://ipfs.io/team/ page has a number of other people as working group Captains.
- 2017-08-09 : So you want to decentralize your website with IPFS (archived)
- 2017-11-08 "IPFS: identity survives only as long as someone cares, not for ever = inevitable loss"
- Criticism: 2019-06-08 Tom MacWright: IPFS, Again
At five years old, is this a project that’s usable ‘here and now’, as the homepage promised in 2017? …No
IPFS is still not usable for websites.