OStatus is a suite of protocols for distributed social networking: Atom ActivityStreams, PubSubHubbub, Salmon, WebFinger per https://twitter.com/kevinmarks/status/365560040326840320 / Evan Prodromou, who later went on to develop pump.io, which itself is being superseded by ActivityPub.
Here's a table of OStatus technologies and current IndieWeb equivalents that are being adopted:
|syndication format||Atom ActivityStreams||h-feed and h-entry|
|publishing notifications||PubSubHubbub||PubSubHubbub (0.4 arbitrary content)|
|discovery / identity||WebFinger||rel-me|
Related (semi-generationally) but not officially part of OStatus:
The indieweb equivalents are typically a subset and do not achieve the same levels of functionality as the OStatus technologies, however the indieweb equivalents are what's been developed so far to meet current use-cases.
The main OStatus site ostatus.org died on 2012-10-09 when it was redirected to the W3C OStatus Community Group, and apparently all posts and other information on ostatus.org was lost. Some content from the OStatus wiki at status.net/wiki/OStatus (defunct URL) was ported to the W3C OStatus Community Group wiki.
- 2012-10-08 last archive of ostatus.org home page
- https://web.archive.org/web/20121009153129/http://ostatus.org/ 2012-10-09 first redirect to W3C Community Group
Eventually ostatus.org expired (when? 2018-09 or earlier) and was squatted (when? 2018-09 or earlier) - the current site is unrelated to the original.
- 2017 interop test results between six implementations, by an independent researcher
- OStatus wiki page with interop details and test results (Internet Archive)
- https://www.w3.org/community/ostatus/wiki/ (note: as of 2018-09-24 has links to defunct sites status.net and ostatus.org)
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OStatus
- Mastodon Drops OStatus
- Workflow which shows an example of use of
acct:, Salmon, and WebFinger: https://www.w3.org/community/ostatus/wiki/Workflow