Obsidian is a free, multi-platform application for writing and maintaining plain text notes (for longevity) as markdown files that provides a modest paid hosting service one can use with a personal-domain.
While not (yet) an open source project, the application encourages users to own their own data locally in a way that allows the use of alternate applications.
- Chris Aldrich has been using Obsidian as a daily note taking tool since 2020-08-25 with the explicit intention of publishing portions of it online as part of his digital commonplace book/digital garden/zettelkasten.
- Others in the wild have used the raw text notes to publish their notes as a website online using static site generators.
Examples of sites published using Obsidian's Publish feature (without custom or personalized domain names):
- Quantum Well
- Alexis Rondeau
- LYT kit
- Anthony Agbay
- Andy Matuschak (duplicate)
- Santi Younger
- David Drysdale
- Eric Gregorich (protected)
- Github repositories of release, API, documentation, etc. https://github.com/obsidianmd
- Obsidian Office hours: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJKoNPnBdCSloJ2wlKnV2Fw
- Linking Your Thinking: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85D7ERwhke7wVqskV_DZUA/playlists
- Obsidian focused playlist for personal knowledge management & zettelkasten: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5fd4SsfvECy0zzf8Cyo20ZoipEt6YeL3