Reddit is a link aggregator and bulletin board site where community members may submit links and text posts, vote on the submitted entries, and post comments on them. As community members vote a post up or down, the site determines how to position a post within the news feed.
Because of the upvote / downvote system, Reddit is an effective crowd-sourced curation tool where the "best" links (as determined by a particular subreddit's users) are pushed to the top. As a result, sites that have been pushed to Reddit's front page experience huge surges in traffic (also known as "the Slashdot Effect").
How to backfeed
Bridgy backfeed Reddit posts and comments
If you go to https://brid.gy/ there’s an option to authenticate with Reddit, when you do so, Bridgy connects via your authorization and can then send you webmentions for Reddit posts that link to your site, and first level comments on those posts.
- See related: Reddit: backfeed nested comments #1014
Or you can DIY:
Poll feeds without authentication
Reddit provides an XML (RSS 2.0) and JSON feed by domain.
Check out those URLs and create equivalents to poll for backfeed for your own domain!
The features below are only available to Reddit community members:
- Vote posts up or down to determine their position in the site feed
- Deeply-threaded comment system
- The ability to create your own category pages (called "subreddits")
- The Death of Reddit by Chuq Von Rospach, 2015-07-11
- Not very POSSE-friendly:
How to export
Anyone know how to export your posts and comments from Reddit?
Into what format?
- Reddit has an API that returns data in JSON or XML.  gRegor Morrill 16:13, 22 July 2015 (PDT)
- Reddit also puts out RSS and JSON feeds for various portions
- There are also RSS and JSON feeds for private feeds, private profile pages, and various parts of one's inbox that are available at: https://www.reddit.com/prefs/feeds/
Basic Reddit Content Exporter (Reddit to JSON, runs in-browser)
exploit make use of your Reddit cookie rather than using a modhash. As a result, it's best for one-off bulk exports rather than ongoing-PESOS: however, it could easily be adapted. It can also be used to export other people's data, but it'll only get that which is visible to the user you're logged-in as (e.g. it won't get their posts in subreddits you're not a member of, it won't get their upvotes unless they've opted-in to sharing that data, etc.).
Get it at https://gist.github.com/Dan-Q/1129e91db2c74cdd0c057b477702bfca. Instructions are at the top.
- Hacker News
- Criticism: 2018-04-19 New York Magazine: ‘I Fundamentally Believe That My Time at Reddit Made the World a Worse Place’ / A conversation with former Reddit product head Dan McComas on the problems of growth as a metric and what Twitter is doing wrong.
- Criticism: not a great place for creating sustainable communities around technology https://twitter.com/alamajesse/status/1475919083661053958