Typing in the location field searches Google Maps for venues.
After a location is chosen, the timezone of the event start/end times is updated based on the location.
Open Source Examples
Calagator's event creation UI asks for basic information about the event, and will auto-create the venue if it is not already listed in the database.
Event creation UI is only present contextually, when viewing your events or your calendar.
- facebook.com/username/events ->
[ + Create Event ] [ ✏️ ]buttons (the pencil button is for "Manage" - not sure what that means
- https://facebook.com/events ->
[ + Create ]button in the left column
Clicking "+Create [Event]" presents a dialog to enter event details:
Event public/private options:
- Private Event with "Guests can invite friends" (default)
- Private Event - only hosts can invite friends
- Public Event - anyone can view it, even without being logged in
- "Upload Photo" makes little sense since people typically upload numerous photos to Facebook already - it should let you choose from your (recent) photos rather than having to upload another!
- "[x] Guests can invite friends" should have another option:
- "[x] Guests can invite mutual friends"
- gRegor Morrill: As of 2017-01-11, when I clicked the "Duplicate Event" button on one of my past, public events, the UI populated with all of the event's information, but defaulted to "Create private event." I did not notice that until after I had published the event. Private events cannot be switched to public, so I had to delete the event and restart.
- On the second attempt, when I switched the toggle to "Create Public Event," it removed the event photo.
- Additionally, when I changed the event start date, the start time field switched back one hour automatically.
(this could be moved to a separate duplicate event page since it's accessed differently from normal event creation, and has quite different behaviors and side-effects, like inviting everyone that was invited to previous event that is being duplicated - Tantek Çelik)
Facebook has a feature to duplicate a previous event to partially automate creating a new event.
Clicking "Duplicate Event" pops up the event creation UI with all of the information copied from the existing event.
FB Something went wrongSometimes when you click the [Create] button as pictured above, Facebook inexplicably fails with message:
Something went wrong, please try again later. [OK]
It's unclear what to do next.
2017-09-03 happened again (clicking either [Save Draft] or [Create] causes this error)
FB Warning Slow Down
(this may also be worth a separate page as it is not specific to event creation, and has other issues with it. - Tantek Çelik)If you get the above "something went wrong" error, dismiss it, and try again several times, you may eventually see an even more ominous error:
Warning: Please Slow Down
It looks like you’re using this feature in a way it wasn’t meant to be used. Please slow down, or you could be blocked from using it.[ Cancel ] [ Confirm ]
FB Went Wrong But Created Event
Apparently sometimes when Facebook claims "Something Went Wrong" the event was still created, and thus if you keep trying to create it, it will create actual duplicates, until it gets fed up with you and gives you a Warning Slow Down message.
Google Calendar has the ability to create an event from brief plain text like expressions like "Dinner tomorrow night" — need a citation / documentation of actual plain text expressions supported by Google Calendar.
https://happening.net/ has a UI for creating photos: