Swarm has nice native mobile apps for checking in, so if you're already a user of those, it's quite convenient to setup OwnYourSwarm to post your checkins automatically to your own website!
Posting your checkins to your own website (instead of just on Swarm) has all the usual ownyourdata benefits.
- See https://aaronparecki.com/2017/03/19/7/day-89-ownyourswarm for links and information on setting up OwnYourSwarm to post to your website.
The main instance of this runs at https://ownyourswarm.p3k.io
Source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/aaronpk/OwnYourSwarm
Examples of IndieWeb sites using OwnYourSwarm to post their checkins:
Jonathan LaCour started using OwnYourSwarm on 2017-03-30:
Started using OwnYourSwarm on 2017-03-30 on his Known site (while still also using OwnYourCheckin)
- https://known.aegibson.me/2017/checked-into-ac-transit-route-99-southbound-bus-stop-1 via OwnYourSwarm
- https://known.aegibson.me/2017/checked-into-ac-transit-route-99-southbound-bus-stop-2 via OwnYourCheckin
Ted Tschopp Started using OwnYourSwarm on 2018-06-01 for his own site hosted on github pages.
- https://www.tedt.org/social/2018/06/01/70491.html for a posting with pictures
- https://www.tedt.org/social/2018/06/05/7720.html for a posting with no pictures
- https://www.tedt.org/social/2018/07/05/70218.html for a posting with webmentions for coins etc...
OwnYourSwarm detects when a checkin has person tags, and then passes those along in the Micropub request. The person-tags are sent as JSON h-cards, including the Swarm user's first name as reported by the service, along with the profile photo of the user. If the tagged user also uses OwnYourSwarm, then their own website URL is used in addition to their Swarm profile URL.
Checked in by
Swarm provides a feature which allows your friends to check you in if you've allowed it. When a friend checks in and tags you in the checkin, a checkin is also created on your account. OwnYourSwarm will push this checkin to your site just like if you had created the checkin yourself.
OwnYourSwarm includes an additional property in the Micropub JSON request that includes the h-card of the person who checked you in. The property is called
checked-in-by, and includes the h-card of the person who checked you in in the same format as used by person tags.
OwnYourSwarm provides two options for making Micropub requests to your site. It can send checkins as simple text (or text and photo) posts using the simple form-encoded Micropub style, or can send a JSON post that contains a much richer checkin object including full h-card person tags, full venue information, and HTML content.
See the OwnYourSwarm docs for more details.