This article is a stub. You can help the IndieWeb wiki by expanding it.
Swarm is a location app by Foursquare focused on checkins and showing nearby friends.
Previously Swarm had been a mobile only app, with no interactivity on its website which was simply a splash page with links to the mobile apps. The link back provided was to the location (VenueURL) was on Foursquare's site.
Currently (as of at least early 2017) their website can't be used for checkins, but now does allow login, viewing friend activity, viewing personal checkin history with Swarmapp permalinks (separate from the mirrored Foursquare permalinks which are also generated on their sister site), and a year in review.
Why use Swarm?
In general Swarm provides a very nice (reasonably fast & non-intrusive - see also Checkie - and convenient) mobile UI to post check-ins to your own site via OwnYourSwarm (see below for more on that). Since creating a similarly featured UI is non-trivial, and the OwnYourSwarm PESOS method seems to work well, it makes sense to just use it.
Swarm's "reader" view also provide a nice summary of where your friends might be near you, perhaps a function that future indieweb readers could provide.
How to POSSE
- Known supports POSSEing checkins from your Known website to Swarm.
- Swarm provides an API for creating checkins, which can be used by software like Known
How to PESOS
Checking in using the Swarm application is easy, and provides a good user experience, especially with their new "offline checkin" feature.
The app supports "share" options, which will create a post on various supported silos that have a permalink to your checkin.
Swarm has an API to retrieve a user's checkins, along with photos and comments. There is also a realtime API which will proactively notify your server when a new checkin is created.
OwnYourSwarm is a micropub client that will send your Swarm checkins to your website by sending a Micropub request. It also supports sending webmentions for coins, likes and comments on your checkins.
OwnYourCheckin is a micropub client based on OwnYourGram. This technically returns a Foursquare syndication URL instead of a Swarm specific one.
- Chris Aldrich has used OwnYourCheckin (since ~June 2016) in combination with the WordPress micropub plugin to own his checkins. He occasionally manually inputs the syndication links from the Swarm app post as well as the FourSquare version. Example: http://boffosocko.com/2017/03/22/checkin-basin-141/ Since OwnYourCheckin returns the GPS data of the location, he also uses the Simple Location plugin to optionally display a map with the location as well. While one can upload as many as four photos to a checkin, OwnYourCheckin only allows the posting of one photo, the first one posted.
David Mead uses an IFTTT recipe for WordPress to watch his Swarm checkins, using the Foursquare channel. When a new entry appears it creates a post on his blog.
You can find his recipe at https://ifttt.com/recipes/365678-post-swarm-check-in-s-to-your-wordpress-blog. Note: the IFTTT post formats plugin can be used to automatically set the post format (for example to "Status") using this set up.
- Post on David Mead's blog - http://davidjohnmead.com/blog/2016/01/01/im-at-china-mountain-ii/
- Original entry on Foursquare - https://foursquare.com/v/china-mountain-ii/4c34ff3e66e40f470681ca8b
(this section is a stub)
Summary of Swarm's user features:
- friend other people
- checkin posts at specific venues
- optional: photo, comment, sticker
- variant: offline checkins
- responses to checkins including:
- on this day
Check-in on iOS
Checkin UI screen on iOS Swarm App (iPod6 touch, iOS10) both default, and if text field is unfocused somehow (e.g. multitask toggle out of the app and back in)
Checkin choose photos and checkin choose sticker variants:
Offline Check-in on iOS
When there is no network connection, Swarm will prompt you to check in offline. Tapping the checkin button saves a bookmark of that location that can be used to create a full checkin later.
Once your network connection returns, you will see a notice on the main Swarm feed saying that there are offline checkins to review.
Tapping that will reveal an interface for reviewing the one or more locations you previously saved.
In between selecting the place and confirming, you are given the opportunity to add a comment or photo to your checkin like in the normal checkin workflow.
- World map at top of profile shows your clustered checkins.
Advertising use of friends photos
2015-03-25 Kevin Marks was shown an advertisement in his Swarm app: Note the first icon which is Tantek Çelik's icon on Foursquare (and thus Swarm), likely due to him having checked into CVS: "have been here".
- 2014-05-15 : Swarm: First Impressions
- 2014-05-15 : Foursquare’s Swarm And The Rise Of The Invisible App
- 2014-05-14 Swarm is ready for you! Download it now.
- 2014-05-09 : Foursquare’s new Swarm app means the death of badges & mayors
- @SwarmApp on Twitter
- 2021-07-03 : How to export your complete Foursquare checkin history
- recommendation engine
- DIY Foursquare/Swarm iCal feed
- Check-in limitations: https://twitter.com/4sqSupport/status/966396726562185216
- "If you check-in more than 5x in 2 min, more than 8x in 15 minutes, more than 50x in 24 hours, more than 90x in 3 days and/or more than 30x today, all of these will get marked as "Rapid Fire." Remember to check-in to places you actually spend time in!" @4sqSupport February 21, 2018
- Changes due to Covid19 to encourage staying at home: https://twitter.com/swarmapp/status/1241031340516151296
- "You may have noticed we made some changes to encourage our community to stay healthy by staying home during #COVID19. We know these changes don't necessarily affect everyone and we are adapting as we learn more, but please know your (non) check-ins make all the difference." @SwarmApp March 20, 2020
- Warnings like “Stay at home”, bonus coins for home checkins, etc https://twitter.com/swarmapp/status/1241031445524725762
- "Some of the changes:
-warning when you check into nightlife, gyms, restaurants and shopping (except grocery)
-bonus coins for checking in at home
-messaging to encourage takeout/delivery" @SwarmApp March 20, 2020
- "Some of the changes: