A reply chain (AKA reply thread) is a list of replies, and replies to those replies, displayed under the original post.
- 2015-05-?? began re-sending webmentions for a post when it receives a comment.
- 2015-06-09 supporting downstream comments
- Red Wind re-sends webmentions for a post when it receives a comment.
- also parses "p-comment" on incoming replies and interprets them as downstream replies (they look just like first-order replies in my UI).
- 2015-10-16 supporting reading and display of downstream comments but intentionally only goes one level down.
- ... to see all replies
How to markup a reply chain:
- ... still under study ... feel free to add suggestions ...
Receiving downstream comments
The mechanism works like this:
- Aaron writes a note
- Barnaby replies to the note and sends a webmention to Aaron
- Aaron parses the reply, and adds it as a comment on his note
- Crystal replies to Barnaby's reply, sends a webmention to Barnaby
- Barnaby parses Crystal's reply, adds it as a comment on his reply
- Since Barnaby's post is itself a reply, he in turn sends a webmention to Aaron's original post, letting him know the reply has updated.
- Aaron checks Barnaby's reply for updates as usual, and sees that Barnaby's reply now has a comment
- Aaron parses the comment and interprets it as a 2nd level comment on the original post.
- An example of reply chaining on Twitter: https://twitter.com/benwerd/status/490958867803537408
- Twitter also clusters related replies together in its visual design from https://twitter.com/craigmod/status/623506782267305984 (Screenshot on 2015-07-21)