Podcasting was one of several IndieWebCamp 2015 Brainstorming sessions.
Archived from: http://etherpad.indiewebcamp.com/podcasting
What is Stitcher? Lily: subscribe and listen to podcasts without downloading them. Good for mobile users who don't have a lot of space.
A podcast publisher has to publish to Stitcher similar to publishing to iTunes. Also is curation, since they only allow podcasts with a certain number of listeners. Stitcher downloads the mp3 and publishes it as a streaming service to the Stitcher clients. Listeners use the stitcher website and apps. Stitcher also publishes listen count.
Podlove: plugin for WordPress, podlove.org
Seriously Simple Podcasting WordPress plugin. (https://wordpress.org/plugins/seriously-simple-podcasting/)
- allows self-hosting
Consuming microformats-enabled podcasts - Monocle puts an in-line embed so you can listen within the feed. - I think Woodwind does similar
An MVP (minimum viable podcast)
- Host mp3 files on internet archive http://archive.org
- host XML Feed and logo on a cheap/free web host (the only itunes requirement)
Own your URLs!
- Create the iTunes URL on your own domain, send a temporary redirect to the backend iTunes feed you're using (libsyn, etc)
- If you move backend feed providers, make sure the IDs for each stay the same so that clients don't re-download old episodes.
- Better: The URLs of your mp3 files should also be on your own domain, and send a temporary redirect to the place the mp3 is actually hosted (libsyn, S3, archive.org, etc)
- another benefit to hosting your own mp3 URLs is you get to do your own download counting.
- See unmung.com for podcast rss to mf2 translation
- Transportini podcast, microformats markup: http://www.transportini.com/
- Late Night Toast podcast, microformats markup based on Transportini :) http://latenighttoast.com
- Aaron: next step is to make an aggregate web page for things recorded at Open Roads Broadcasting, consuming the RSS feeds of all the podcasts and creating a new web page with microformats, also publishing a new iTunes feed.