Location was a session at IndieWebCamp Nuremberg 2017.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/location
IndieWebCamp 2017 Nuremberg
When: 2017-05-20 16:37
- adactio (session faciliator)
- Starts with Jeremy Keith showing his website and how he is storing location in lat/lon with links to OSS.
- Why is he showing degrees on the posts? Because it looks nice. Makes him sound more like Indiana Jones.
- Browser location API uses different location services depending on your machine. Your phone has its own GPS, while most laptops will depend on information about the network and internet connection you are on.
- Jeremy Keith has a lot of it stored now, but doesn't use it for much
- Aaron Parecki links map, shows city name as text on post
- also had map of everything (2015.aaronparecki.com/map)
- other exampe: thesession.org/events/map
- aaronpk also day-wise overview with cities he was on that day
- Sebastiaan Andeweg shows map of last thing
- Aaron Parecki lot of details derived from it. e.g. local time is derived from location
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Eagle was broker for location info
- Safety pages could use last known location data
- strutapp.com enables a fog-of-war like map that will communicate what places a person has visited.
- People have used strava to draw images on maps by following specific paths.
- aaronparecki.com/gps/ tested multiple visualisation practices, including a heatmap of his movement around Portland.
- moves-app.com visualises movement. X minute walk to home, then x minute cykling trip to work.
- you can visualise trips by downloading images from Google Street View and cut that into a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fl_hXOeOFc).
- Displaying location based on time, this time from a song text: johnnycashhasbeeneverywhere.com
- On IndieWebCamps get Guest List und display the collective journey https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/16227/examples-of-geovisualizations-of-global-connectivity
- Real live tracking of a person: http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention
- Somewhat an example of Jeremy Keith’s idea to scrub through archive page (scrub over sparkline)
- Allows to scrub through the history in 2 axes.
- Tree with you in the middle then Countries/States/Towns/... https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/786
- Country/State/City = Country/Region/Locality when Aaron Parecki reverses his lat lon.
- what3words could be used to describe a location (3x3 metre grid over the earth).
- A day goes from local 00:00 to local 23:59, where the two locals could be in different timezones.
Random Map Stuff
- Jeremy Keith uses a wallpaper program of a map: http://satelliteeyes.tomtaylor.co.uk/
- Archive page that got a lot of screen time: https://adactio.com/links/tags/location
This session was broadcasted live on the IndieWebCamp YouTube channel.
⚠️ Warning: From 28:20 ’til 29:16 there is a very loud sound clip being played!