A non-profit for IndieWeb?! was a session at IndieWeb Summit 2018.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/nonprofit
IndieWeb Summit 2018
Session: A non-profit for IndieWeb?!
When: 2018-06-26 15:55
- Jason McIntosh of the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation
- Jason McIntosh a nonprofit opens a door
- Dori Smith I have helped a lot of 5013c and I am interested into organization
- Jason McIntosh longevity is a goal of mine
- Johannes Ernst We need more entreprenuerial out of the box solutions.
- Greg McVerry board member of a few 501c3s, currently writing grants but has to contract with specific developers but would be easier to contract with an indieweb nonprofit. Worried about contributing to an organization with a board.
- Forrest: Social corporation techpraxis.io (currently a placeholder site) was founded to help each other. We build co-operatives and worker communities. I don't like nonprofits. I am done with them. We are working to build a multi-stakeholder cooperative.
- Fiona: I'm participating remotely so forgive me if I'm not doing this right :) but maybe look at RubyTogether for inspiration? https://rubytogether.org/ Yes! let us know if you want to virtually raise your hand.
- Aaron Parecki Each event is run individually and the organizers are repsponsible for funding. I have been doing it through it personal LLCs, in Berlin it is through a company. I do a personal LLC as I want to avoid overhead. nonprofits, C-Corp is bigger, taxes get more complicated, would need insurance. I fear the longevity.
- Greg McVerry The funding model used in tech will not work for #IndieWeb we should maybe consider co-op
- Johannes Ernst Problems to solve
- tech development++
- vendor/customer collaborative/governance++
- larger grants/projects
- Aaron Parecki I would prefer a seperate entity to join in supporting like Template:fiona brought up as https://rubytogether.org
- Johannes Ernst and Forrest push for a cooperative
- Johannes Ernst suggests a nonprofit, an individual LLC, and private individuals can all be members of the co-op. Might be a need for 1+1+1 but not a thousand member solution
- Jason McIntosh says we need a
- Aaron Parecki Figure out what benefits from money and figure out process to determine how to fund those; some people in the community could build things faster if they had direct support
- Jason McIntosh: Create a one page document explaining our missions and goals
Call to Action
- If you would like get more involved in determining the governance model please add your name here:
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)