IndieWeb Futures was a session at IndieWeb Summit 2019.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/indiewebfutures
IndieWeb Summit 2019
Session: IndieWeb Futures
When: 2019-06-29 17:05
- Ariana (session facilitator)
- Jonathan LaCour
- David Shanske
- Jamey Sharp
- Malcolm Blaney
- Tiara Miller
- Marty McGuire
- gRegor Morrill
- Tom Brown
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
- Think about “emerging signals of change” in our groups. Exploring possible futures for IndieWeb. Using those possible futures to reflect on the present.
- STEEPV (Social, Technological, Environmental, Economic, Political, Values)
- cluster these signals as they seem related. pick 3 of these signals from the various clusters.
- Assign your team one of these “Four Futures”:
- Growth (status quo basQAQically continues)
- Collapse (good or bad!)
- Discpline (chosen vs imposed)
- Transformation (profound historical change as occurred)
- Looking at the three signals of change chosen in #2, applied to these different types of futures, brainstorm 5-7 primary implications of that future and then pick 2 or 3 of those and generate 5-7 secondary implications (of the implications).
Headlines from the Future
- Surveillance capitalism runs rampant as big tech becomes pseudo governments
- Facebook police capture public enemy number 1, notorious indie web hacker; huge trove of illegal cash confiscated
- Indie Web made illegal, facebook cites unprofitability
- Collapse of capitalism leads to hyperlocal smaller collaborative societies
- The long now clock finally unveiled
- Sally's cat pooped on your roof
Growth: arc of history bends toward justice
- Gazion: send money to performers in real time just by looking at them: buionic contact lenses allow you to visually send money with your own eyes
- Wealth gap eliminated thanks to government anti-bias program
- heads of equifax and axiom jailed for flagrant violations of data sovereignty act
Transformation: protecting against abuse
- median life expectancy hits record high
- local economies support mental health
Implications of all the little things we're all building on the future in big ways
Note: discuss this at IndieWeb Summit 2050.