Google also provides hosted client services / web apps:
- Gmail - hosted email service
- Google Chrome
- Blogger - one of the oldest blogging platforms, previously called "Blogspot" (and the software itself was called Blogger).
- Google Calendar
- Google Contacts
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
- Google feedburner
- Google Photos
- Google Keep - http://www.google.com/keep/ - for notes, thoughts
- Google+ (AKA "Google Plus", G+, GPlus)
Google Cloud services:
- Google App Engine
- Google Compute Engine
- Google Container Engine
Other development tools:
Various business tools:
Exporting From Google
- Google Takeout allows you to export your data from Google's services.
- See: Data Liberation Front
Google has at least one silo that they've shut down login/write access to, but are seemingly still maintaining its post permalinks (in redirect form)
- Google Buzz
Google has shutdown a number of silos:
- 2009-04: Dodgeball
- 2010-05-15: Etherpad
- 2012-04-30: Google Wave - https://support.google.com/answer/1083134?hl=en
- 2016-01-25: Google Code
See site-deaths for more.
Google has shutdown a number of services (most recent first):
- 2016-01 Google broke their original Google Profile URLs, e.g. this used to work in the Google Buzz days until 2015-12, but now (2016-02-14) just 404s:
- 2013-07-01 Google Reader shut down.
- 2012-04-20 Social Graph API (launched 2008).
- 2011-07-02 Google Real-Time Search shut down.
- 2011-05-26 Google Blog Search shut down
- The Guardian / Google Keep? It'll probably be with us until March 2017 - on average
For more see:
On 2015-10-09, Google Drive (and associated Docs, Sheets, Slides) were offline.
Articles and blog posts critical of Google's behavior with respect to the open web, indieweb, open standards etc.:
Google is primarily known for its dominant search engine.
Google Supports Microformats
Google Web History
You can save your Google search history by explicitly turning on Google Web History
And then look up your past Google searches:
- https://history.google.com/history/lookup (requires login)
Google collects your search history for the purpose of gathering data for ad serving.
They do this whether or not you are logged in (e.g. with cookies), and whether or not your have opted into Google Web History (see below), though you can also opt-out of all ad-customization.
There is something apparently that shows your demographic and psychographic buckets according to this data, but only at a high level. It should be browsable and searchable.
Apparently they scrub logs after somewhere between 6 and 18 months, and much of the extra details stored in history they don't store at all, or only temporarily (until the log savers get to it, i.e. days).
- Google News is broken
- @ohunt - September 20, 2019
- "Today is my last day at @Google. Despite the incredibly talented engineers, I cannot bring myself to continue working for a company that favors money over ethics every time it comes up." @ohunt September 20, 2019
- 2019-10-11 The Guardian UK: Revealed: Google made large contributions to climate change deniers
- block all Google cookies you can for this reason at a minimum: 2013-12-10 BoingBoing: NSA uses Google's tracking cookies to target and "exploit" their subjects
- Google Activity controls across numerous Google services. <-- Find and manage other data associated with your account
- Post Brexit moving user data from UK to US
- "This is unacceptable, Google. No. I do not agree to have the data controller of my data be a US entity. @PrivacyMatters what is the legality of this? Isn't this counter to UK data protection regulation?" @torgo February 22, 2020
- right to be forgotten: Guardian articles have been hidden by Google
- 2018-02-28 Why I Quit Google to Work for Myself - Promotion Committee, shipping new things vs maintenance
- 2018-09-21 & thread
- "NEW: Google bosses have suppressed an explosive memo circulating inside the company revealing its censored China search plan. The memo said the search system would store users' location data & share their search records "unilaterally" w/ a Chinese company:" @rj_gallagher 21 Sep 2018
- 2017-09-12 TNW: Google is suffering a meltdown as Gmail, Maps and YouTube go down
According to the outage heat map, it appears that users in the American East Coast, Central Europe and Japan are most severely affected.
- Google Account
- "NEW: Google bosses have suppressed an explosive memo circulating inside the company revealing its censored China search plan. The memo said the search system would store users' location data & share their search records "unilaterally" w/ a Chinese company: https://theintercept.com/2018/09/21/google-suppresses-memo-revealing-plans-to-closely-track-search-users-in-china/" @rj_gallagher September 21, 2018
- Alt-text in images in Google slides (Ctrl + Alt + Y on PC)
- No More Google - alternatives to Google's products and services
- 2018-07-09 How I Fully Quit Google (And You Can, Too) / My enlightening quest to break free of a tech giant
Today, I am Google free, part of the western world’s ultimate digital minority, someone who does not use products from the world’s two most valuable technology companies (yes, I don’t use Facebook either).
- 2019-02-20 https://joshondesign.com/2019/02/20/google-free
- Google Nest
- Google Search